cheap,reasonably reliable rwd car suggestions!

dac69er

Super Moderator
looking for a rwd runaround. needs to be around £2k or less, cheapish to insure and run. reliable and most important of all, jap.

will pay more if its super special but will have to be something really interesting to tweak my nipples!

looked at and and test drove 2 mazda mx5s today (1.6 and 1.8 uk spec) and was unimpressed with the performance. my 1.3 n/a starlet would give them a run for their money! still seriously considering one though!

any ideas people?

Last edited:

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Don't get an MX5, they're poop, traded 1 in for my Glanza and haven't lookded back since. Struggling for suggestions though tbh.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Yeah fair 1. As a run around I suppose an MX5 would be ok but as a main car they are toss mate. Just my opinion though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it will be my main car/runabout. still keeping the GT :)

only thing that lets the mx5 down is they are hideously underpowered

goldenvtr

Member +
i would have said mx5 and turbo it lol. Not jap but how about an old seirra or e30 bmw?
not much choice without paying more than 2k

dac69er

Super Moderator
Cappacino...?

insurance may be a killer and parts are expensive. doubt ill get one for 2k. i expect they would be pretty slow too?

turbo or supercharging the mx5 seems to be the only way to make it a half decent motor. im not after a ball of fire, but something with a bit more go than a 1.3 n/a starlet would be nice

benGT

Member +
i've sold my GT for an mx5, will be getting it in a couple of weeks.

I know it's 'slower' than a turbo'd Starlet but that's not what they're supposed to do. They're built to handle well (which they do).

If you want something fast in a straight line then dont go for a 5 as you'll only be dissapointed. but also, if it's going to be the daily drive surely you want a sensible/economic motor?

dac69er

Super Moderator
economy wise i never drive very far for it to matter. im sure the mx5 wouldnt be too bad anyway.
im not bothered about straight line speed, but my 1.3 n/a feels about as quick as the 1.8 i drove. you need a bit of go to have fun.

just want someting thats a bit more fun as a daily driver, plus rwd :)

L900CMC

Member +
I would say an e30bm also,my mate had one and it was very good crack,took the abuse he gave it very well,quick comfortable and fun!

dantheman

Member +
mx5's are for middle aged men who are going for a mid life crisis and think 'il go buy a sports car' and drive with the top down thinking they are the man and exposing theyre bald patch for all to see...

jokes aside, they are very reliable. but like said above theyre not all that quick. depends how much that bothers you i guess..

why not get an old 200sx 1.8 turbo, can be bought very cheap and good for drifting, and obviously not slow.

Harvey

Member +
MX5 handle brilliantly, and they are not 'that much underpowered'. As for an NA starlet giving one a run i very much doubt it. the 1.6 shouldnt be much slower then a Mk1 MR2 and my MR2 would keep up with a standard EP82.

If gotta be jap id say MX5 or maybe S14 if you want a barge (albeit a barge that can be good with a few mods!)

If not id say a BMW too, they are fairly reliable and plenty to choose from

Jay

Admin
"looking for a rwd runaround. needs to be around £2k or less, cheapish to insure and run. reliable and most important of all, jap."

Yamaha Fazer?

It ticks all the boxes. Including a bonus mahogany one if you're unlucky.

dac69er

Super Moderator
"looking for a rwd runaround. needs to be around £2k or less, cheapish to insure and run. reliable and most important of all, jap."

Yamaha Fazer?

It ticks all the boxes. Including a bonus mahogany one if you're unlucky.

lack of a bike license would make insurance a bit of a bastard. plus boot space is even worse than the mx5.

an s13 is too expensive and big.

the MX5s i drove may have been shitters, the 1.8 did seem a little ropey and there is a high possibility the 1.6 was the 88bhp version.
i really wasnt impressive at all.