clarification needed

1nsan3

Member +
Hi guys

after reading loads on the site and off it too, i now have a couple of questions.

1.if i fit an ecu such as a toms, mines, or jam one, do i still need to fit a rrfpr or will that be taken care of by the ecu also would i need to change the actuator to an adjustable one to get the 1 bar of boost on a standard ct9.

2. How restrictive is the cat? i will not be looking to push the car over 200bhp and really dont fancy having to swap the cat/de-cat every year for the mot, if its gonna cause major problems then of course it will have to be changed but otherwise a loss of 15-20 hp due to leaving the cat in is fine.

once again i am indebted to you all

:)

durmz

Member +
the ecu will take care of the fuelling but not the boost. will still need an actuator. and would be advisably to get an ebc for good controlled boost.

the cat is quite restrictive, ide say it was definatly summit to remove if ure going to run a bar.

i would also add that u will need a manifold and better cooling, ie front mount if u want to run a bar succesfully. also u wont get 200 bhp on the standard tubby. and not even close with the cat in place

Rumel786

Member +
For the ECU mate im running a Jam one & you dont need to use a RRFPR as the ecu is a self learning one to a extent.

To up the boost either you will need an ebc or a Adjustable actuator.

My cars not running a CAT, your car may pass M.O.T without one, but restrictive wise id say approx 10hp maybe??

turboflow

Member +
The ecu will not prevent you form having to get a rrfpr,the stanard fpr is not capable of supplying the amount of fuel you would need for 1 bar+, especially 200bhp
yes you will need an aftermarket actuator to get one bar
the cat is pretty restricting, i knocked mine out and noticed a load of difference, jus find your self a garage that will dodge emmisions for an extra 10er, i have about for different mot garages i can go to that really could not care less about emmisions lol

hope this helped

Last edited:

durmz

Member +
The ecu will not prevent you form having to get a rrfpr, it just controls the injectors and timing for the increased fuel, teh stanard fpr is not capable of supplying the amound of fuel you would need for 1 bar
yes you will need an aftermarket actuator to get one bar
the cat is pretty restricting, i knocked mine out and noticed a load of difference, jus find your self a garage that will dodge emmisions for and extra 10er, i have about for different mot garages i can go to that really could not care less about emmisions lol

hope this helped

jam ecu fuels for a bar fine on standard fpr owen, ask nicky, ep91 girl, thas what she got going, fuels more then fine.

turboflow

Member +
oh my bad, hows comes u dont need one then with jam, standard and uprated fpr's work the same increased pressure on the vacuum line increased fuel

durmz

Member +
oh my bad, hows comes u dont need one then with jam, standard and uprated fpr's work the same increased pressure on the vacuum line increased fuel

standard fpr has the same capability of an uprated one as far as im aware, its just there adjustable. i dnt know tbh lol. i just know its working for some people

turboflow

Member +
i just always assmed they were not capable as so many people say get one when upping boost, never put it down to the management not adjusting thought it was fpr not having the balls for it lol.
dont make an ass out of u and me,lol, i wanted to wee in evry teachers eye that said the at school lol

1nsan3

Member +
thanks for the fast input guys,

so to summarise

if i get a jam or similar ecu then all i should need is an ebc to keep it running at 1 bar, i already have a manifold which will be fitted soon and exhaust is already done, i will probably go for either an rx7 tmic or an arc depending on what i can find when i have the cash.

if i do pop a jam or similar ecu in it would i need to get it on a rolling road or should it be fine as is?

turboflow

Member +
i would not go any form of top mount mate, i know 3 people that have blown piston with top mount and 2 of them had rx7 coolers

Rumel786

Member +
thanks for the fast input guys,

so to summarise

if i get a jam or similar ecu then all i should need is an ebc to keep it running at 1 bar, i already have a manifold which will be fitted soon and exhaust is already done, i will probably go for either an rx7 tmic or an arc depending on what i can find when i have the cash.

if i do pop a jam or similar ecu in it would i need to get it on a rolling road or should it be fine as is?

Jam ecu should be fine mate but just to be on the safe side get it on rollers.

Also as above, its best to get a FMIC compared to a top mount.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
DONT use a boost controler on standard actuator...

standard actuator is weak and with time it will get even weaker. get an HKS adjustable one and will hold much better.

if you want to be safe. put it on an RR with AFR readings.