cleaning your turbo

Phil

Super Moderator
QUESTION for you guys.

i have a turbo here (an old td04) which has powdered coolant(orange coolant that has dried up) stuck in the water channels!(some1 tel me the proper name please!)

any idea how to clean these out?

what to use?

how important it is to have them cleaned thoroughly?

without just saying, nah you dont need water lines( as i have some lovely blue hoses which i would like to connect up!lol )

Thanks

Phil

GTdan

In The Closet
tried just water and a toothbrush?? as water in theory should just discintigrate the residue.

Phil

Super Moderator
its just that there is very little room to actually clean! u cant get anything inside the threaded hole, def not a toothbrush any way!

cheers for ideas people! surely enough people have fitted second hand turbos to have came across this problem!

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
cheers chris

emm maybe, i was hoping some1 would say oh yeah thats nothing just stick it on and it'll flush itself lol!!

but hey, i'll see what can be done!

Phil

Big_Daddy

Member +
Just try some of the radiator flush treatments, prefer 2leave it overnight, then poke at it and rinse ou.

Jay

Admin
It's residue from the previous cooling system the turbo was used with. The orange colour signals corrosion was present. Shouldn't be an issue as once the turbo is fitted you can flush the cooling system with detergent to reduce the corrosion present.

ryan_v

Lifer
it wont do much harm, wouldnt worry about it too much. use a flush if your worried and them pipe cleaners while its off.

Bullet00th

Member +
I just used some carb cleaner and a air line. Spray aload down the water/oil holes and use the air line to blow it all out. Repeat this 2-3 times and it'll be alot better :D

Matt