Clock Boost lights, only two bars?

karl.

Admin
Got my car back from getting a td04 kit on it and now it only shows the two green lights on boost in the clock, the external wastegate is meant to open at 1bar and I was thinking it couldnt be right.

Is the lights according to the map sensor? Sorry I dont have a boost guage to check what boost its making.

Jay

Admin
Should be lighting more than two segments mate but without a proper boost gauge it's hard to say for sure.

Jay

karl.

Admin
The boost pressure nipple on the turbo isnt blocked off, the ext wastegate is getting its pressure from the inlet mani. I know this means it will be leaking boost but, the wastegate is opening so that means its making 1bar atleaat if thats what the spring is doesn't it?

Jay

Admin
I see your thinking but for the sake of piping a boost gauge onto a inlet feed (even for a quick run and running the pipe in through a window) you would have a far better understanding of what is going on mate. I can lend you a gauge for ten minutes if you don't have one. Much better than guesswork.

AdamB

Member +
The boost pressure nipple on the turbo isnt blocked off, the ext wastegate is getting its pressure from the inlet mani. I know this means it will be leaking boost but, the wastegate is opening so that means its making 1bar atleaat if thats what the spring is doesn't it?

If the nipple is on the compressor outlet then it will be leaking boost as the compressor wheel would have already compressed the air. It will be far better to find out with a boost gauge as to whats actually happening though.
Try putting a bit of silicone pipe on the nipple and putting a screw in the end, see if that makes a difference. I think you should actually be using the turbo nipple for the external gate rather than taking it from the inlet.

karl.

Admin
Yes I understand, I have a gauge lying about so I will hoak it out and tape it to the dash and see how things are going in there. Il get back in a few days and also get you a few pictures of that Dorf R pnp ecu

karl.

Admin
That's not the point, its not finished because I had to get the car back early.

Got a bit of vacuum pipe today and a t piece and took a feed from the turbo and inlet to the wastegate and it didn't help. I thought by removing the boost leak it would of cured it.

karl.

Admin
Well after hooking up a boost gauge roughly, It seems the boost spikes at 1bar for a split second then drops down to 0.6/0.7 bar so would the light come on?

Smokey

Fresh Recruit
Sounds to me like you've too much vac goin to the w/g! Run it from the turbo only and blank the one on the inlet!

Simply explained is Too much vac will give you lower boost!

karl.

Admin
I piped it up again and the wastegate is running of the turbo and the boost guage is running of the inlet. The rrfpr is running of the one coming from the turbo aswell?

Jay

Admin
Fuel regulator should be seeing a feed from the intake manifold. What sort of TDO4 kit is it?

karl.

Admin
I will sort that out tomorrow then. This spike has only came into it after changing the piping as you can feel it when you drive. Its a wepr mani and downpipe, just a standard td04, I think its just a cheap ext wg too which could be causing problems and a dorf r pnp ecu.