Coilovers; Stopping springs "twanging"

Fro

Member +
Ive got ISC coilovers and the springs twang when turning the wheel at very low speed or when stopped, I assume i have to tighten them up a bit for this to stop?
When i put them on the springs werent very tight, you could turn them by hand easily. I tightened them a bit last week but obviously not enough.
Any ideas how tight i need to put them or just tight as i can?
Also, is this going to effect the ride height?

Cheers for any help

lleey2k4

Member +
i just did all mine the same length think it was 8 3/4 inches from top of the spring to the bottom of the spring. Sure its not your brake hoses?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
You want the springs to be held tight but not compressed as such, if you compress the spring you're adding "spring preload" and effectively increasing the spring rate and making the ride harder.

Tighten the spring locking ring until you can just compress the spring by hand and it should be tight enough.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
The usual cause of "twanging" is the top mounts are sticking, give em a good lube and should be good.

ninja1270

Member +
Mine do it as well.
I tightened mine up and shortened the spring a tiny bit and it doesn't do it as much but I still get the occasional twang from them.
Might go and check the top mounts in a minute.

Fro

Member +
Where do i lube the top mounts?
I tightened the springs and now the front of the car is a good bit higher :argue: :slap:

Fro

Member +
Just took it round the block and shes still twanging, tightened the springs a good feckin bit so maybe is the top mounts. Might take the springs back down the where i first tightened them and lube the top mounts.

When im driving it and turn left or right at a junction and it twangs, the car will sometimes pull to the left until the next junction when it twangs again then is usually ok. That sound dodgy?

Fro

Member +
Alright cool, good to know.

Next question, can i lube the topmounts when the coilovers are still on the car?

Franza1

you can indeed, it's better to jack up the front of the car though to take the load off off the bearings so you get a good coating of oil. i always use machene oil on them like 3 in 1 or something like that, alot of people don't realise that the pillow ball topmounts need a dose of oil every once in a while. i do it at ever service.

Franza1

well i always preferred the 3 in 1 myself but anything that's fairly long lasting will do. just don't put wd40 on em, never really worked for me was way too thin and only lasted a few hours

Fro

Member +
That seems to have done the trick, only took it down the street though so will find out later.

Repped for the help

edit: cant rep you :homer:

Franza1

It may come back intermitently till the oil works it's way through properly

ha ha, no bother at all not in it for the rep anyway :p

andy.i

Member +
my cuscos did that too, just tightened them up a bit more, and a whole can of wd40 later on the top mount and its gone