cold start misfire help!!

GTom TURBO

Member +
ok i still cant find out the cause of this misfire! its on cold start it splutters and misfires when i throttle it, even a little, but as soon as its warmed up it drives like a dream pulls really hard all the way up the rev range.

It all started when i fitted my new fuel pump ( walbro ) and TRD Leads rotor and dizzy cap. double checked the pump today and that seems fine! I did a diagnostic and its constantly flashing which suggests it has no faults on the car! Its really getting to me know!! any help would be great!!

Cheers
Tom

did you check dizzy timing? plugs? petrol filter? my car does similar to this and its standard nd ive had it a month but cnt figure out wats goin on with it! ive got new petrol filter havent got round t fitting it yet tho

GTom TURBO

Member +
Can't see how the dizzy timing would change just by fitting a new dizzy that's in a fixed positions with the 2 screws? Will check it anyway! Has anyone else had this problem?

biscuit

Member +
Pulled them the other day and were all ok - last changed Jan 2010, so maybe time for some new ones, everything ignition/fuelling has been replaced in 2011, so maybe this is the weak link - plugs are giving up?

Once it was warmed up it was fine, not running any stupid boost or anything though.

biscuit

Member +
It was missing when I first got the car, but that was on boost around 3-4krpm, it would go ‘butbutbutbut’ and stutter, the Iridiums fitted had hardly any nib left, so changing them fixed the problem. 2 weeks ago it started doing it again, I popped the HT’s out and back on and it was fine, so I wonder maybe it might be HT’s, but they are only 2-3 months old and I’ve not had any issues before hand.

biscuit

Member +
It’s not done it since, so I wonder maybe it’s a sensor or something? I spent last night pulling all the leads/plugs/dizzy etc to check everything and it’s all ok – I used some carb cleaner on a cotton bud to clean out the leads, dizzy cap, coil etc and removed some dirt from the coil.

Plugs are all a light brown/white dusting, no oil or breakdown of any of them.

I guess it must be electrical, but no idea what. It’s been ok since, boosts fine from around 2700 @ 0.8BAR all the way up.

I did also re-set the ECU.

Real strange…

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Bumping up an old thread here...

I've got the same issues as the OP here with cold start misfire/lumpy running it's been doing it for a while now intermitently, when cold below 3k rpm the car hesitates and doesn't want to accelerate, the more you try the worse it gets (kangarooing up the road!) and it's actually difficult to get up hills.

I've just changed the CTS sensor (with a brand new one) and it hasn't made any difference, nothing has been changed recently which should be causing this and all the usual ignition parts have not done many miles since being replaced, circa 15k miles so should all be fine.

I've also just done a diagnostics check and the only code is 31 (map sensor) which has bee showing up for years - I think it'sjust the emanage wiring for the fcd which I've never sorted.

I think it could just be overfuelling but don't know why it would've just started doing this - it's mapped on an emanage blue which was done a good few years ago so I don't know if the map may have gone a bit funny?

So any more suggestions on this - it seems to be a fairly common problem but one that never gets sorted!

Last edited:

rwdstarlet

Member +
Did any one fix this problem? because the exact same thing is happening to me, car starts grate and runs well when warm just when its cold she splutters and nearly cuts out

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I'm bumping this up again as my car is doing this all the time when cold now and it's bloody annoying!

I'm thinking about borrowing a map sensor to try and see if it makes a difference but any other suggestions?