Confused

Hi all, as you can see i am new! i have had a GT Turbo for some time and never really got round tuning my car or even doing much under the hood! only recently found forums like this so joined up! I bumped into a fellow GT driver in Mc Donnalds and we chatted about our cars. After a while he started to impress me with some BHP figures that could be obtained. I explained that i had a boost controller that i was given. It was given to me because it only goes up to 1.8bar. I dont know much about these things yet but i am interested to learn. He said in a nutshell with the correct modifications to the internals/ turbo / cooling / Fueling and so on, even if the car stays 1.3cc and not boosted over 1.8 bar, i could have a figure of around 320 bhp! This all sounds exciting but is he a little generous with his figures? I love my little white car and would shout it to the world but i dont want to be miss lead. Any comments welcome and if you dont agree with him, what figures do you think are reasonable?

Well how much money do you have to spend on the car?? Anytime is possible and people have broken 300-400BHP probably more but it will cost.....ALOT. Tell us your budget we will tell you roughly what you could achieve.
Christy

Nwimie

Member +
depends on alot of variables buts lets say 180-200 bhp is acheivable with a few correct modifications. then anything upto 300ish with a few thousand spent.

gv1.3

Admin
Hi and welcome to our humble place of worship.

Very good first post above. It is always worth checking these stories out as sometimes people get a little carried away with their information. In Ireland every Glanza/GT owner you meet seem to think their car is "running around 200BHP" it is kind of a running joke on here.

As mentioned above the cars are very capable of making big HP but by reading through the site you will see alot of the pros and cons of doing so. With a lot of money spent you can have as much HP as you like but the ability to actually use it is what matters in my opinion.

The variation in peoples approcahes to modifying is very evident on here as you will see some guys like starlet3SGTE doing a very interesting build a planting a monster engine in his starlet making HUGE power to Franza1 who is so focused on making decent torque but ultimately making a handling weapon!

I have yet to see the total package of handling and control emerge but some of the traders are working on fine demo cars that promise to be very very impressive in both respects.

I think the best advice I can give you is to go to the members car section and look through the impressive work our members have done and if you see something you like PM them and ask their advice and experience of their setup - I know if you live near them they would probably even be delighted to take you out for a spin to let you experience the power delivery and handling of their car - this is a great way to find out what different setups are like without spending the money yourself.

Enjoy the site,

D

Bill Tush

Fresh Recruit
:gt-logo

Hi all cool site btw.

I currently run a 1996 GT that i have recently finished re-building with a fully forged engine @ 1.8 bar. I've also just had it dynoed at 274 BHP (at the fly) and i'm really pleased with it :)

Just to answer the question above the only way to hit 320 BHP @ 1.8 bar would be to inrease the displacement or use nitrous. In my experience your generally looking at about 7ish BHP per PSI or 10.5 BHP per 0.1 bar on this size engine. 2.0 litre engines are up at around 10-11 BHP per PSI and 3.0 liter around 14-15 BHP per PSI. This is obviously all hyperthetical though without the correct supporting mods.

William Tush

Last edited:

Bill Tush

Fresh Recruit
:gt-logo

Dave is your car running Nos? Only It looks like I can see a bottle in the pic? Otherwise I don't understand how you can get to 320 BHP @ 1.6 bar without Nos. I mean thats like 240 BHP per litre. The Mitsi Evo FQ360 runs 1.6 bar and produces 180 BHP per litre. Am I missing something?

William Tush

sx_turbo

Lifer
i agree with everything thats already been said.

@ tush, the evo 360 is still not at its limit.

dave burwash engine has been designed with a power in mind and there isnt anything that hasnt been done to that engine as far as i'm aware.

Bill Tush

Fresh Recruit
Hi all been working away for a while and just thought i'd check back on this thread. Surprised there is no more posts in response to my belief that 320 BHP is not possible with the restriction of a maximum boost pressure of 1.6 bar on any 1.3 engine found in a commercially available vehicle.
I am not saying 320 BHP is not achievable, far from it, a 1.3 engine could indeed produce 1000 bhp with a bucketful of cash and a bucketful of boost.
If anyone has any hard facts to dispute this then please feel free to reply.
Over the years I have tuned many turbo charged cars and few have impressed me as much as the fantastic 4E-FTE engine in terms of performance per litre and high level of stock engineering.
In summary then the GT turbo is a truly great package but its tuning potential should not be exaggerated beyond what is physically possible (with the above restrictions).:gt- logo William Tush

Last edited:
Hi, i'm back! looking for a standard wheel with or without tire if any one knows of one? i damaged one the other day showing off in a car park DOH! PM me if any one can help, thanks.. BTW it looks like i have stured up a bit of a hornets nest about my boost controller i was given, there is alot of clever guys on here but i had a look through all the links given in this thread and it apears 320 is not acheivable unless nitro is used ( not that i ever hoped to get near that bhp figure any way ) my car puts a grin on my face standard. i dont ever want to touch the oily bits or use nitro but perhaps next year i will fit the boost confroller and run 0.9 bar, i am sure that will be fun. That Guy i met in Mc Donnalds car park is a bit of a starlet dream boy!

boostedep91

Fresh Recruit
In relation to your comments Bill you claim that a 1.3 engine In your experience is only capable of around 7 hp per psi. So at 1.8 Bar (26.5psi) the boost pressure you have, should have a figure of around 185hp yet you claim to have 274hp at the fly yourself. I think all thise figures you stated are a little low myself.

I have tuned many cars myself and there are to many things involved to say that it is not possible for someone to achevie that without Nos on that boost pressure is a little ignorant. You need to know things like turbo efficency and air flow at a given pressure. Then theres cams and head work, RPM, combustion chamber designs, compression ratio, manifold designs, intercooler efficency, exhaust flow, ignition system, ecu and fuel octane rating.

Now i know of a car here in Australia that had 350 hp ATW on 23.5psi 1.6 Bar. NO NOS. Thats just over 400 hp at the engine if you calculate in a 15% drivetrain loss. That was only a 1.3 btw. And with dry ice on the manifold it made 381 hp atw.
http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5927&hl=evl82

Dave