Converting to External Wastegate query

CMR

Member +
Hi,

Got everything I need now to convert to an external gate setup on my hybrid as like a few other people I just cannot control the internal gate's creep properly.

I have a dilema though, regarding the internal gate. I know the general motto round here is whip the turbo off and get the gate welded shut, but...there are other options, one being make a bar up in the shape of the standard actuator using the actuator base mounts but without the diaphram meaning no weld needs doing and the gate stays closed however,

I've also been reading on a few other forums about this problem, and many people simply use their standard actuator connected to the internal gate, and block the nipple on the actuator meaning the gate cannot open unless its physically blown open. An evo forum swear by this unless your running over 20psi on the standard evo actuator then the pressure will overcome the stock spring. If this is ok on an evo, surely at the tiny pressure (1 bar) i will be running i will have no problem?

I have a toytuning actuator that is stiff as fook so I am quite confident that if I left it on the internal gate latch and blocked the nipple the gate would stay closed for ever (or until the spring eventually goes after a few years)

Has anyone any experience of using this? I would get the gate welded but A) if i sell the hybrid in the future i'm limiting my market if the IG is welded and B) if i take the turbo off, i have no transport to go get it welded shut, or to get to work!

Help appreciated, also please dont just post 'get the gate welded' :teach::haha:

lingl9z

Member +
I remeber someone making a bracket that held the wg shut can't think who it was but defffo someone on here.

WillGT

Member +
i made a brace on my tdo4 to hold the internal wg shut after the weld cracked the first time, i rewelded and braced just to be safe, i used two hole type ends off actuaters and threaded bar quite simple, i braced it on the old aircon braceket and obv onto the clasp which opens your internal wg. click on my garge you can see the idea.

Nickgt

Fresh Recruit
External wastegate

Hi , Depending on what type of manifold you have will decide what route
to take. if you have an aftermarket stainless steel manifold you can
simply take it to a metalwork shop (on a weekend preferably) and have
someone bore a hole in one of the runners weld a small piece of mild
steel along with your external wastegate flange. If you have the standard
ct9 setup u will take out the internal gate an cut the the exhaust flange
weld the external wastegate flange . your external wastegate will serve
2 purposes one will to regulate your boost and the other will be your
exhaust. (almost forgot you can remove the actuator. reconnect the
exhaust side of the wastegate to your exhaust piping.) The piping
size will vary but as you reconnect to your exhaust it will be large again.
I have seen this work on 3 starlets and a GSR Lancer.

CMR

Member +
Well this is just a 'temporary' solution for a couple of weeks until i can get a bar made up to put in place of the actuator.

I see what youve done there will, its similar to what I want to have, but the actuator wound in should do the same thing without the nipple connected especially as my toy tuning one is so stiff (it has at least 7 more turns left when set at 1 bar)

edit: Nickgt ive got everything sorted.. mani with external gate etc. Its just the internal gate on the turbo that i wanted other options to shut it instead of welding.

Sam, ta for that il pm him

WillGT

Member +
Well this is just a 'temporary' solution for a couple of weeks until i can get a bar made up to put in place of the actuator.

I see what youve done there will, its similar to what I want to have, but the actuator wound in should do the same thing without the nipple connected especially as my toy tuning one is so stiff (it has at least 7 more turns left when set at 1 bar)

edit: Nickgt ive got everything sorted.. mani with external gate etc. Its just the internal gate on the turbo that i wanted other options to shut it instead of welding.

Sam, ta for that il pm him

yeh i can see what your saying pal its worth ago, if it dont work then try the way i did pritty easy looks ok to. i'd still reccomend welding tho i have both for pieace of mind lol.

pockrockgtti

Member +
Aussuming were talking about a CT9. What i did with mine was get a spare standard actuator chop it, then thread the end of the actuator so i could thread a nut on in order to adjust tension, and then i made a little L-shaped bracket that bolts on where the waterway blanking plate goes. The picture is pretty blurry but i think ull be able to make it out.

actuator-bracket-1.jpg

enright82

Member +
the ct9 hks actuators are stiff as fook, if u wind it right up then im sure it would stay shut, and just dont put a vac line on it