Coolant Bottle Emptying.

Sigma

Member +
Right boys, this has been bothering me now since I bought the car, and I still haven't been able to cure it.

The outline of the problem, is that any driving style, be it normal or giving it some abuse, upto around 110mph, the water level stays perfect regardless.

As soon as I take the vehicle above 115-120mph, the coolant system decides to begin emptying itself, via the overflow on the expansion bottle.

The coolant is NOT being consumed in the motor, as it's usually all over the engine bay.

Before anyone jumps in and says, "mate mate your headgaskets fucked", this is what's been done in the various phases.

Phase One was a completely stock motor with the following,
JAM ECU,
ZEP Downpipe,
Full HKS System,
HKS Mushroom,
HKS Actuator,
HKS SSQV,
Stock Radiator.

On this set up, the car ran fine, had 160PSI on all four pots, and the coolant system was pressure tested and the result was fine.

Phase Two was the same setup, but with a brand new Toyota Headgasket, waterpump and radiator.

Phase Three was the same, but in addition, it ran a TRD 0.6mm HG, a WEPR manifold and 1.1BAR.

Phase Four, which is the current state, the spec is as follows.

JAM ECU @ 1.2BAR.
4e Block, decked by 0.40mm.
Standard Pistons and Rods.
New Toyota Piston Rings.
ACL Duraglide Crank Barings, Big Ends & Thrust Washers.
Fully Overhauled Cylinder Head with 0.05mm skimmed, all new Valve Stem Seals, Valves recut.
WEPR Manifold.
CT9A.
ZEP Downpipe.
Full HKS System.
Injectors Overhauled.
New Oil Pump.
All New Gaskets, from Toyota.
Toyota Headgasket, 1.2mm.
New Waterpump.
New Thermostat.
Heatrange 7 NGK's.
New Stock Radiator, with Fan continually on.
Standard Expansion Bottle.
TRD RAD CAP, 1.3bar.

The same problem is still occuring..... :shoot:

Possibilities for cure that I have thought of...

Bigger Ally Radiator?
Lower Temp Thermostat?
Bigger Expansion Tank?
Use of a coolant like "Wetter Water" ?

All of the above?! :eek:

Just really lost for ideas now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tommy.

when my std engine done this it was the head gasket offering to go :( i no ur's has been done but i fitted a zep 2m gasket and it never happend again ;)

It had the block decked, the head skimmed and a brand new Toyota Headgasket.

sorry thats wat fixed mine and i never skimmed or decked a thing i just cleaned everything and replaced the gasket with a 2m zep

unless raising the compression is causing it

Dan3SGTE

Member +
It had the block decked, the head skimmed and a brand new Toyota Headgasket.

It could be that the radiator isn't working properly. Does the tempreture gauge rise at all? Head gasket would normally do it even bellow that speed. Thermostat?

Sigma

Member +
Yes, as the coolant goes, the temp raises, and then it just gets switched off.

Lower temp thermo?

The rads brand new. :(

Sigma

Member +
It originally did the problem with the 1.3BAR TRD one, then I fitted the new radiator and left the 0.9BAR one on.

Still doing it.

Rory

Lifer
Thermostat could be on its way out.

DO NOT put a lower temp thermostat in, there as much use as all, fuck all.

Water pump on its way?

weakboy2

Member +
they are bollox, engine is designed to run and the correct water temp, once a thermostat is open, its open so it makes no odds if it opens at say, 70deg or 90deg!

Just means with a low temp stat your engine will wear out quicker :D

Rory

Lifer
Lower temp thermostats are useles.

An engine is designed to work at an operating temp, if you over cool the water, it will have an affect on the oil temp.
If the oil temp drops to much, it will be like driving a car from cold all the time, and it will soon have a dramatic affect on it..

RGM1800

Member +
they are bollox, engine is designed to run and the correct water temp, once a thermostat is open, its open so it makes no odds if it opens at say, 70deg or 90deg!

Just means with a low temp stat your engine will wear out quicker :D

do you have a concrete proof to prove your theory?

Sigma

Member +
I see your theory Rory, but I can't see how water and oil temp will be drastically effected by just 20deg lower?

Ie. I can't envisage the oil not working aswell at 70deg, as it does at 90?

Rory

Lifer
I run a Sard thermo a few tears back, it was terrible.

But if your not willing to take advice, thats up to you.

Ive "been there done that got the t-shirt"

Seriously dont do it.

weakboy2

Member +
oil starts to burn off water and fuel vapour at around 80 - 85degrees... low oil temp is bad.

if you cant see why a low temp thermostat is a bad idea and pointless, you havent got the aptitude for the way things work mechanically IMO.

Texx

Super Moderator
My car used to spit coolant out of the expansion tank after a good few hard laps on track. They only way I found of preventing this without any modification was to drain a small amount of coolant from the top of the radiator (approx 500ml). I've since fitted an additional coolant header tank that I got from Nick@TD and that seems to have cured the problem.

At a guess I would say the top header tank of the stock radiator is not large enough causing a pressure build up that results in the rad cap opening prematurely.

Sigma

Member +
oil starts to burn off water and fuel vapour at around 80 - 85degrees... low oil temp is bad.

if you cant see why a low temp thermostat is a bad idea and pointless, you havent got the aptitude for the way things work mechanically IMO.

How very naive of you, sir :)