Crank position sensor

weeJohn

Lifer
I know a few people have asked about this for using some specific ECUs. On another site a forum member mentioned the 98 to 00 Corolla 4EFEs had twin coilpacks and a crank position sensor. I had a look into it and indeed they do use one, its mounted on the oil pump housing and uses the timing belt pulley for its trigger, 24 tooth.

Sensor part number is 90919-05018
Pulley part number is 13524-11020 (same as a GT)
Pump assembly number is 15100-11110

It must use something else to get the TDC position but I havnt discovered that yet, I will post it when I do.

dark_knight

Member +
crank removal

weeJohn to the rescue.. digging up engines to find hidden sensors.. :) lol
so i'm guessing this means that if i were to remove my crank, i must return it exactly as it came off..? i'd imagine there's only 1 of 2 ways it can go back in..?

weeJohn

Lifer
It uses the crankshaft for speed but it also needs a cam position sensor so it knows where TDC is. I have found another sensor that they list as knock control but it seems to be mounted on the cam cover and detecting the cams rather than in the block. I am going to look into it a bit more later, school run time lol.

Knock control sensor numbers (mounted on cam cover)
89615-22030 MATSUSHITA
89615-22040 DENSO
89615-52010

sx_turbo

Lifer
1.5 california emmisions paseos and tercels have the same parts, has been mention on the forum a few times,

the actual oil pump is different and has the bracket built into it for the crank sensor,

sx_turbo

Lifer
i'm sure it gets tdc from the crank and the ecu knows that every 2 revolutions of the crank is 1 turn of the cam, as i cant find any other sensor that relates to this.

i also know that a lot of after market ecu's rely on crank trigger only and not necasarily needing a camshaft aswell

sx_turbo

Lifer
also just looked at the knock sensor if u look closely, it is meant to be in the back of the engine where it always is, as the threaded part of the sensor is facing towards the front of the car, it just looks a little odd in the diagram, but it definately doesnt sit on the cam or rocker cover.

Texx

Super Moderator
discamshaftpositiondescription.png

discircuitdiagram.png

discamshaftpositionsensor.png

discrankpositionsensor1.png

discrankpositionsensor2.png

dis5etiming.png

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
if your wanting to run a an ecu that needs a crank sensor what about using one of these link and one of their crank sensors. thats what im going to do with mine.

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
if your wanting to run a an ecu that needs a crank sensor what about using one of these link and one of their crank sensors. thats what im going to do with mine.

I just liked the Toyota one as it was well hidden in behind the timing cover, no extra mounting was necessary and it was solid.

Thanks Texx, knew it needed the 2 sensors for it to work.

Texx

Super Moderator
knew it needed the 2 sensors for it to work.

Just had another quick look at this, it appears that the 5E-FE with DIS uses both a crank and cam position sensor, but I can't find a cam position sensor for the 4E-FE with DIS. Also the DIS 4E-FE exhaust cam is different to the DIS 5E-FE and 4E-FTE.

By the looks of it the parts required for a DIS conversion can either be swiped from a 5E EL53 Tercel or EL54 Paseo (would need the cylinder head to fit the cam sensor), or from a 4E-FE EE111L Corolla G6.

sx_turbo

Lifer
knew i wasnt going mad,

i was looking at the 4efe corrolla stuff and couldnt find anything, didnt think to look at the 5e

Texx

Super Moderator
There's definitely no Camshaft Position Sensor PNC for the DIS 4E-FE. The twin coils for the DIS 4E-FE and 5E-FE fire the cylinders in pairs of 1+4 and 2+3, which would suggest that the ECU wouldn't need to know which cylinder was at TDC on it's compression stroke as it fires both at the same time anyway.

I think the only reason the DIS 5E-FE has a cam position sensor is because it's ECU has individual cylinder misfire detection. For it to be able to identify which cylinder has misfired, it would need to know which cylinder was on it's power stroke.

dark_knight

Member +
firing order

so are you saying 4/5e-fe fires 1&4 and 2&3 all the time even though say cylinder 4 (when 1&4 are firing) may not be at the ignition cycle..? won't that mess up with the 4-stroke sequence..? or did i miss something..?

Texx

Super Moderator
so are you saying 4/5e-fe fires 1&4 and 2&3 all the time

Only the DIS (Distributor-less Ignition System) equipped 4E and 5E.

won't that mess up with the 4-stroke sequence..? or did i miss something..?

No, if 1 and 4 are fired at the same time, one cylinder will be coming to the end of it's compression stroke whilst the other at the end of it's exhaust stroke. Introducing a spark at the end of an exhaust stroke won't do a lot as there won't be an air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber to ignite. The same goes for cylinders 2 and 3.

dark_knight

Member +
plug life

i heard that. makes sense.. lots of sense. perhaps the only thing i'd worry about is having spark plugs working twice as hard and wearing out a lot faster.. :)