Crankshaft Pulley HELP

ralphy

Member +
Right guys, gunna attempt to do my crankshaft oil seal tomorrow but am kinda worried that i am gunna get stuck :(

Has anyone ever done this while engine is in the car ??

Any suggestions will be appreciated :D also the car is a ep91

Cheers Mike

dac69er

Super Moderator
its fairly easy. its pretty much the same as changing the cambelt apart from you have to remove 1 extra pulley.

if you read the tutorial on changing a cambelt you will be set

dac69er

Super Moderator
as i said above mate. read the tutorial. all you have to do is remove the toothed crankshaft pulley after the belt is off so you can change the seal

please for your own sake, read the guide and remember there is a woodruff key in the crank that the pully sits on - if you loose or damage it you won't be able to put back together, it's like half of a circle in shape and the size of a pea! so can be very easy to miss it.

weeJohn

Lifer
You still have not that tutorial properly have you?

If you are going to attempt this, get a set of 2 leg pullers to remove the cranksahft pulley and the timing belt pulley. If you hammer them they will break.

ralphy

Member +
I have, do i need to remove the other pulley aswell just to replace this seal :S

Thats what i am getting at i have been told i can just remove the crankshaft pulley and then replace seal !!

dac69er

Super Moderator
I have, do i need to remove the other pulley aswell just to replace this seal :S

Thats what i am getting at i have been told i can just remove the crankshaft pulley and then replace seal !!

fuck me, ive told you twice.

you need to remove the crankshaft pulley and then the toothed pulley that drives the cambelt. behind this pulley is the seal.

once done you will have to time everything up again. read the cambelt change guide as it will explain all you need to know.

ralphy

Member +
fuck me, ive told you twice.

you need to remove the crankshaft pulley and then the toothed pulley that drives the cambelt. behind this pulley is the seal.

once done you will have to time everything up again. read the cambelt change guide as it will explain all you need to know.

Alrite mate calm down !! I have just been told differant things so.....

TheStarletGT

Member +
1: You will need to align the timing belt 100% with all external marks
2: remove timing belt
3: remove crank pulley
4: remove backing plate (this just slides off)
5: Pry the oil seal out

Than do all the steps in reverse

dac69er

Super Moderator

wrong!!!! if your going to give advise, make sure its correct!

weeJohn

Lifer

This sort of poor information is why this lad is on asking this question, after someone who knows how to do the job has told that person how to do it right, then some other twat comes along and tells them something else, ie the wrong information.

The rep system was introduced by the moderators to try and advise people who may be best to get intormation from. Looks like its time to turn up the ipod when you start your waffling.