CT9 oil return/feed question

ikzgtt

Member +
Recently put on an sps mani and with the turbo being slightly off place, the feed is under a little strain and is leaking (the odd bit of oil on the pipe) from the gasket due to the extra pressure of having to be stretched out of place slightly.

it is not leaking from anywhere else apart grom the gasket, i have checked and therefore know the feed pipe is in good condition near at the flange side and not broken YET! i am going to replace the gasket anyway and but was thinking if there is any way i can cut the feed pipe and replace the middle of the pipe with braided hose/silicone hosing etc. i am not sure as to whether i require high pressure hosing etc or if it has to be braided in which case i will just bend the feed pipe instead of spending cash on braided hoses.

it is just a thought at the moment as it would give some flex and make it much easier in the future to do the same job. also it would mean i dont have to bend the one i have and risk breaking.

i dont want to spend loads and samco custom hosing costs me pennies so was wondering about that option 1st. if anyone has any advice to give me on this, please do as i need to sort this tommorow so i can travel to a funeral on thurs 300 miles away.

any help or experience with this appreciated:)

Galen

Lifer
Had the same problem as you before! I went through two oil feeds as both cracked and leaked a lot of oil, I was very lucky not to have any engine damage!
In the end I just replaced my aftermarket mani with a standard one.

ikzgtt

Member +
its not snapped from anywhere and it is only under a move of 2-3 mm which is hardly anything.

just want to know if anyone has cut it and if so, how it was done.

i dont need to change the mani back, sounds like yours was well out of place:)

ikzgtt

Member +
dave, its definately not cracked yet but im sure it prob will if i dont do something soon so wondering what others have done to remedy this prob.

what u reccomend?

ikzgtt

Member +
if i cut the feed pipe and replace the centre section with samco hosing, do you thing it will handele the pressure it is under? the return pipe is samco and works fine.

any ideas anyone?

Galen

Lifer
its not snapped from anywhere and it is only under a move of 2-3 mm which is hardly anything.

just want to know if anyone has cut it and if so, how it was done.

i dont need to change the mani back, sounds like yours was well out of place:)

Still wouldnt risk having it under any strain, could be very expensive if something went wrong so better safe than sorry!

Never seen anything about cutting them before so cant comment on that.

My mani kept cracking too so just got sick of it, much happier with the standard one, although may invest in a mild steel mani at some stage.

I'm in the same boat after just fittind my new mani and turbo I'm so paranoid at the moment. Would it be possible to cut a bit out of the line and replace it with a pipe with two jubilee clips in between so its not stressed?

ikzgtt

Member +
im sure the hosing i can get can handle 10 bar of pressure at that size and was really considering taking a length of it and cutting the feed pipe tommorrow and putting this new samco hosing inbetween with the same heavy duty clamps i used on the fuel lines.

if you cut the oil feed , you can rotate the part of the feed that is attached to the engine and it will still work fine and be easier to find a good line of samco hosing to attach to it.

i really am paranoid about this too so would like a lil more feedback 1st on this thread before i decide what to do.

keep the help coming guys:)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
although i've not tried it, what you're saying sounds like a good idea, you could more than likely use fuel hose as that should be up to the pressure.

my oil line cracked over the weekend and i almost lost my engine to it, so keep an eye on any leaks as they can turn into a disaster very quickly.

The proper way to do it would be with a braided high pressure hose with banjo from the filter head and then have a threaded adapter brazed to the hard line mear the turbo. The undyling problem is the manifolds are badly jigged

gt-stu

Member +
cutting the pipe and sleeving it with hose may work,i done mine differently,got proper hydraulic fitting etc.

pm dantheman im sure he works for mocal,he should be able to advise you on it

ikzgtt

Member +
i have some really good 250psi fuel hose from a hydraulic company and was wondering about fuel hose temps. the fuel pipe is one of the best but do you know if they are compatible with the oil feed temps as i have no idea how hot the feed line runs?

ikzgtt

Member +
cutting the pipe and sleeving it with hose may work,i done mine differently,got proper hydraulic fitting etc.

pm dantheman im sure he works for mocal,he should be able to advise you on it

i will cash out for braided lines if needed but how will they fit to the feed line when cut as it will have no thread. i have heard of a banjo sleeve that can be used with it but are they high temp compliant etc etc.

il pm dan in 5 mins, see what he advises.

ikzgtt

Member +
sorry dave, was writing when you posted, i will do this as i dont mind, i do however agree that the item was badly jigged as i didnt realise this till i got underneath today and spotted a bit of oil running from the feed/return gasket.

i never realised such a little bending can cause such a large issue.

i think the braided hose, braised to the feed will be the best option right now. i also want to know if you could make these up as a kit for poorly jigged manis!

dub seven - any other ideas mate?