Cutting out high boost on motorway and warning light!

Tomtheman2

Fresh Recruit
Just a quick question about my v, I go on te mway and when I want to accelerate quickly I change it to high boost and accelerate, a orange warning light appears in the bottom left of the dash, I don't know what it is because I dot have a manual, also it feels like not enough fuel is getting through as it doesn't bog out but cuts out for a milliseconds like as if you were on the Gass off the gas it's odd, until you come off the gas, oznce you come off the gass the warning light goes away after a while and no more weird cutting out.

I think it might need an upgraded fuel thing to get more fuel in but I don't have a clue really,

any help is greatful
thanks

durmz

Member +
sounds like ure hitting fuel cut to me, if you search for fuel cut in the search bar theres a few topics that explain all about it, how to help cure it etc

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Just to confirm what durmz said... ie ur hitting fuel cut ;)

kon

Tomtheman2

Fresh Recruit
From what I have read, I should turn the boost down a bit to make it not hit the fuel cut. Or the fact that my front mounted intercooler cools my engine so much it is always cold? So when I give it some the engine is cold so the fuel cut comes in? Is this right?

But why does the warning light on the dash come up? I am quite worried about that.

Cheers,

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Do you have a boost gauge mate?

Are you running a HKS Actuator? Intercooler should not be making your car hit fuel cut....

durmz

Member +
okokok lol, lets break this down a bit :haha:

fuel cut is due to the wastegate not being able to vent all of the excess boost pressure, causing the turbo to boost more than what u essentially want, the ecu reads this and to protect the engine cuts the fuel from the engine momentarily.

main reasons for this are, breathing mods such as decat, exhaust, air filter relocation

I dont think a fmic causes boost creep personally, it usually causes a pressure drop, but may be wrong.

the only real cures imo are to port out the wastegate or restrict the inlet. or, to leave it in low boost like. hks actuators dont really help, although some say they do.

just be aware the above is what i think i know, im no mechanic and as usual am open to correction

Craig

Lifer
From what I have read, I should turn the boost down a bit to make it not hit the fuel cut. Or the fact that my front mounted intercooler cools my engine so much it is always cold? So when I give it some the engine is cold so the fuel cut comes in? Is this right?

But why does the warning light on the dash come up? I am quite worried about that.

Cheers,

The warning light is the CEL (Check Engine Light), also referred to as the EML (Engine Management Light). This can be triggered by any number of things, but on this occassion it is down to hitting fuel cut. Don't worry so much about the fact that fuel cut is causing the light to come on, worry more about hitting fuel cut. It's not a nice thing when it happens, and doesn't do the car any good if it happens regularly.

Best bet is to lower the boost (assuming you have an adjustable actuator). Failing that, cough up some funds and buy a decent boost controller.

durmz

Member +
also something to be clear on, a boost controller wont help, i bought one thinking it would, and on advice that it would, it did shit all, if the wastegate cant budge that extra pressure, nothing else really matters

Craig

Lifer
also something to be clear on, a boost controller wont help, i bought one thinking it would, and on advice that it would, it did shit all, if the wastegate cant budge that extra pressure, nothing else really matters

You can use a boost controller to lower the boost, which would stop Fuel Cut...

Arnold

Lifer
I change it to high boost and accelerate,

Change what? Has your low/high boost solenoid been bypassed? I bypassed mine when my car was completely standard and it hit fuel cut, so it's worth putting this back in place if it's been bypassed.

Craig

Lifer
Change what? Has your low/high boost solenoid been bypassed? I bypassed mine when my car was completely standard and it hit fuel cut, so it's worth putting this back in place if it's been bypassed.

I think the fact that he changes to high boost shows that the solenoid hasn't been bypassed :p

Arnold

Lifer
I think the fact that he changes to high boost shows that the solenoid hasn't been bypassed :p

No. The light comes on / off even if it has been, it just doesn't many any difference to the car's performance. He might think it works when it doesn't.

Tomtheman2

Fresh Recruit
No. The light comes on / off even if it has been, it just doesn't many any difference to the car's performance. He might think it works when it doesn't.

If you mean when i put it on high boost it doesnt make a difference? If so thats wrong because it makes a huge difference.

I will try turning my boost controller down slightly to see if it makes a difference. It is a manual one and it is wound all the way out. It is running at 0.8 bar at the moment.

I have seen a post about porting the turbo wastegate or something but I didn't read it fully.

Thanks for the help.

durmz

Member +
Craig said:
You can use a boost controller to lower the boost, which would stop Fuel Cut...

What I mean is u cannot use a boost controller to lower the boost past what the physical length of the actuator is, ie u can't use a boost controller to lower to 0.4 bar, because oe is 0.6 or whatever it is, right?

do you have a boost gauge, if it doesnt go above 0.8 then its not creep its something else

Last edited:
it could b is the manual boost controller u hav is not v accurate or faulty causing this issue so u cud try turning it down to the next notch.. as durmz is sugesting best place to start would be boost guage reading if possible.

durmz

Member +
why just leave?? bit rude int ya seems like a way to solve the problem for now so he doesnt damage his engine!!!

to be fair i was just joking, but i see how it seemed rude, so im sorry.

to stick a fcd and fpr would just mask the problem, and if he doesnt have the appropriate modifications with a fcd and doesnt have it set up correctly then fitting a fcd will do just that, damage his engine