CV Joint - Fu*K Me :(

SupaStu

Member +
My mechanic was trying to fit a new cv joint today, turns out I have the wrong one, so he refits the old one with a new boot while I order another cv joint.

I got the car home, went to the shop, and on leaving the shop reversed the car with some nasty sounds coming from the joint.

Then the fucker decides to fall out of the hub!

Great, so I pushed the car back into the parking space and will tow it out tomorrow morning. Thank fuck I was not driving at 60+ mph on the main road when that happened.

It must have been badly damaged, only started clicking about a week ago!?

Hopefully the gear box and driveshaft should be fine.

Anyone else had this happen?

asifatyard21

Member +
i am also guessing it was incorrectly fitted as mine has been clicking for some time when i am turning. but was told dont have to worry about it falling of untill it clicks even when driving straight. dont mean wait untill this point to change it, just that it is not dangerous until that point.
dont no how reliable that information is tho im sure some one will be able to elaborate??

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
started clicking a few weeks ago and fell out?

im 100% sure that it was fitted incorectly or you have a very bad luck!

in my other car iv been running with clicking joints for 3years...

Rumel786

Member +
started clicking a few weeks ago and fell out?

im 100% sure that it was fitted incorectly or you have a very bad luck!

in my other car iv been running with clicking joints for 3years...

3 years if only your maltese lol!!!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I think its been incorrectly fitted, iv had a clicking cv joint for about 6 months now but cars still driving fine ;)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
3 years if only your maltese lol!!!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I think its been incorrectly fitted, iv had a clicking cv joint for about 6 months now but cars still driving fine ;)

hahah... well its a mini btw.. no cv boots too :p still going strong haha

SupaStu

Member +
Towed it back this morning, and stripped it down, was worried that the drive shaft end was damaged but it looks fine. I think the whole cv joint and end ring was fucked after being taken out and stuffed back in.

I should get a new one on Monday and will fit myself now that I know what is involved, its easy when you know how!

Cheers lads