daily driver?

matt walters

Member +
can anyone suggest a good cheap daily driving car?

im a sparky so needs a fair boot just for putting drills and tools in etc and a few materials.

ive been thinking along the lines of a 306hdi, golf tdi and focus tdci.

anywhere between £1000-£2000 idealy :/

i have thought of a van, but hate the way they drive and i cant put it on the same insurance as my glanza, which really is the killer atm :(

wanting to put some serious time into the V and dont want to wreck it driving every day :)

any helpa and ideas much appreciated :) cheers, matt

Galen

Lifer
Yeah a 306 be good, that's what I have as a daily! Good sized boot too, easy on diesel and decent enough power.

matt walters

Member +
yeah i hear ya :) i had a 1.4 306 as second car and was well happy with it tbh. think ill have a look ino them :) anyone know things to look for? bad bits etc? cheers

George611

Member +
Mk4 golf? tdi or 1.6 aint too bad as long as you dont play around with it lowering an that, boots quite big plus lovely to drive,
1.7td astra estate quite quick and great on fuel

conalmcn

Member +
yeah i hear ya :) i had a 1.4 306 as second car and was well happy with it tbh. think ill have a look ino them :) anyone know things to look for? bad bits etc? cheers

Theres a few things to look out for, mainly camber in the back axle is a sign that the bearings on the back axles is on their way out, any banging from suspension they are really sore on bushions and stuff when lowered, check for fueling problems such as cutting out wile driving etc. They can be sore on intank pumps and the regulator on the high pressure engine pump gives bother. Also check all electrics they can at times be a disaster. make sure central locking is working.

matt walters

Member +
Theres a few things to look out for, mainly camber in the back axle is a sign that the bearings on the back axles is on their way out, any banging from suspension they are really sore on bushions and stuff when lowered, check for fueling problems such as cutting out wile driving etc. They can be sore on intank pumps and the regulator on the high pressure engine pump gives bother. Also check all electrics they can at times be a disaster. make sure central locking is working.

spot on cheers :) repped

J25GTi

Lifer
I was looking for a daily, and I'm an electrician too. But why get something frankly a bit gay?

You could get a vectra v6, jag xj8,

I got a mondeo st24 500quid, 12 months mot, 6mo tax, electric windows etc, heated leather seats,

Lovely car for the cash and a bit better than a 306d etc!

Old corolla diesel, totally bomb proof, would just laugh @ a 306 :) mates been running about in 1 for 2 years now, has done NOTHING to it apart from put fuel in it and its still solid :)

conalmcn

Member +
I was looking for a daily, and I'm an electrician too. But why get something frankly a bit gay?

You could get a vectra v6, jag xj8,

I got a mondeo st24 500quid, 12 months mot, 6mo tax, electric windows etc, heated leather seats,

Lovely car for the cash and a bit better than a 306d etc!

mate a 306 hdi with a remap is a nippy car for what it is. IG 5, 125bhp bags of torque, cheap parts, 45mpg and still looks the part. You don't really want a big petrol for a work car. You want something reliable and easy run 306 ticks all the boxes. Golfs are incredibly overpriced for what they are

matt walters

Member +
yeah need it to be good on juice, if i hadnt been laid off i wouldnt be bothering cos would still have a van, but its not looking that good :( half temped to put glanza in garage till im 21 in may and just insure the daily nail till then.

didnt think about the corola :)

addz

Member +
Old corolla diesel, totally bomb proof, would just laugh @ a 306 :) mates been running about in 1 for 2 years now, has done NOTHING to it apart from put fuel in it and its still solid :)

This man said it, Corolla ftw. I wouldn't get seen in a 306 - sod that, especially if you're a spark

ibz

Member +
what are peoples opinions on the astra 1.7 turbo diesel's. considering one of them as a run around

Paul_JJ

Member +
My opinion is to never buy Vauxhall (Opel). I don't like ford very much either. French cars - don't like them! Would recommend - BMW 320 - 750 miles per tank! Good comfort, not for snow though. Japanese diesel cars - aren't bad, and reliable, not as comfy as germans though. x3 to Diesel Corolla - very good cars, bulletproof.

addz

Member +
The Isuzu astras are reliable, and good on diesel. I had my Cavalier for years, and it asked for nothing. Old vauxhalls were decent

ibz

Member +
thinking of an astra 1.7 t on roughly a 1999 plate. going for about £1000 or sligtly less. just dont want to get one its going to cost money to fix all the time