difference between crankshaft oil seal and camshaft oil seal?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
wats the difference between crankshaft oil seal and camshaft oil seal?

ive got 2 seals in my full engine gasket set, one is brown and 1 is black.

will it make much difference which one is which?

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +

Jay

Admin
And to really fuck things up I'll add that there are two crank shaft seals, both different and at opposite ends of the engine..

350ep70gr

Member +
And to really fuck things up I'll add that there are two crank shaft seals, both different and at opposite ends of the engine..

And this is really big and cant be put it on the cam lol Also it is brown.

Chris

Last edited:

Adam_Glanza

Member +
ok im now super confused lol, im only concerned for the top 2 gaskets, as the bottom one is bigger i believe.

its purely the 2 smaller gaskets i need to know

Rory

Lifer
The camshaft seal is a plug at on end, and an o-ring on the dizzy shaft.

The bigger crankshaft seal is on the gearbox side, and the other the opposite.

Put up a couple of pics, as your description isnt the best ie: top 2 gaskets and smaller gaskets....

Adam_Glanza

Member +
they are both the same size, but one is black and one is brown.

it isnt the large crankshaft seal, i just need to know if theres a difference between the two, and if so which gasket is which

well...from my view point....both have been used in either position without issues

we tend to put brown one on the crankshaft and the black one on the camshaft-----as the rear/big crank seal is also the brown color

when u take them off, u may well realise they come off like that too

but i have seen instances with both black,,both brown and mixed (brown and black any way around).....it seems not to make a diffrence..

are the part numbers on them the same?---are they really different?..

kind of reminds me of the intake/exhaust valve stem seals delima,, lol

350ep70gr

Member +
well...from my view point....both have been used in either position without issues

we tend to put brown one on the crankshaft and the black one on the camshaft-----as the rear/big crank seal is also the brown color

but i have seen instances with both black,,both brown and mixed (brown and black any way around).....it seems not to make a diffrence..

x2

Chris

Adam_Glanza

Member +

yeah it was also me that had that dilemma haha, unfortunately the seals have already been removed :( so couldnt tell! cheers for the help

350ep70gr

Member +
Hey Adam

I check for you again and this is the correct answer as i was dissasemply a stock engine yesterday. Cam seal and crank front seal the one who goes at the oil pump housing are both black and same dimension. The different between them is that crank seal has a number like S-4 and the cam seal S-3.
At my new toyota hg set i have those two seal with the same dimension but the one is brown. The other is black and has the number s-4 so the black goes to the oil pump and the brown (wich is from a different suplyer) goes to camshaft.
Hope i clear this from you.

Chris

Hey Adam

I check for you again and this is the correct answer as i was dissasemply a stock engine yesterday. Cam seal and crank front seal the one who goes at the oil pump housing are both black and same dimension. The different between them is that crank seal has a number like S-4 and the cam seal S-3.
At my new toyota hg set i have those two seal with the same dimension but the one is brown. The other is black and has the number s-4 so the black goes to the oil pump and the brown (wich is from a different suplyer) goes to camshaft.
Hope i clear this from you.

Chris

well ...that may not really prove it one way or the other

who is to say that the seals were not changed previously on the car and mixed up in the process...:haha::haha:........as i too have seem MANY combinations :haha::haha:

well....just putting a little spin on things

good looking out anyway 350ep:cool::rockon:

350ep70gr

Member +
well ...that may not really prove it one way or the other

who is to say that the seals were not changed previously on the car and mixed up in the process...:haha::haha:........as i too have seem MANY combinations :haha::haha:

well....just putting a little spin on things

good looking out anyway 350ep:cool::rockon:

I double check it with my old oil pump who came from an engine with 17.000 miles..lol:p;)

chris