difference between GT & Glanza coolant (cylinder head) housing/body

dark_knight

Member +
pardon the unclear title and fuzzy picture but the camera i had then was causing and i needed to leave. i have this from a purchased engine (which apparently was from a glanza) since the GT has more sensors here. now, the engine is intended for use in a GT which has the extra sensor you can see not mounted there.
my question is, what signal does that sender give out. is it for the ECU or for the dash gauge..? this is because if i am unable to get a replacement coolant housing, i need to know what my options are.. and if i will need to decommission one of those sensors.. :eek:

dac69er

Super Moderator
the car will run fine without it. one is for the gauge and someone said the other is related to the aircon or something???

alternatively, drill and tap a hole to fit it. I wouldn't personally worry about it though. could you not just swap housings when you swap the engine out of the GT to fit the new one?

dark_knight

Member +
this is why

i'd be more curious to know which sensor is for what dac69er. i also know i could get it drilled and tapped out but our machine shops are not ones to trust with some things, esp when you have just one of the item.. :rolleyes:

the reason i can't use the other one from the GT is because it looks like this.. :(
the car was so neglected and the housing has enough rust build-up to make a sculpture out of. you can also see what happened when i tried to remove the mentioned sensor. i had barely started to apply torque when it just snapped on me.. despite having doused everything in penetrating oil..

dac69er

Super Moderator
its doesnt matter. both are the same type of sensor so either or will be fine. just connect the right connector that makes the temp gauge work and your sorted.

and you wouldnt need a machine shop. its only alloy. if you have a drill and some taps just get a friend to watch the drill to make sure its straight and then go for it. once the hole is done, you just whack a tap through. some ptfe tape on the sensor and its done.
i drilled a 2mm hole in my throttle body on the car, by eye and it was fine ;)

weeJohn

Lifer
The sensor lying out without the hole is for the temp gauge, its not there on a Glanza as the 3 wire sensor used on them sends the signal to the gauge. The sensor with the cable attached is an air con sensor, dont know if you are keeping the air con or not, if so it has to stay. Drilling and tapping that hole is your best option as Dac says.

dark_knight

Member +
air-con is most likely staying so i guess we shall keep both. drill and tap it is.. :D
thanks guys. now to get onto the wiring schematics.. :)

wildchild

Member +
you could have just swapped the entire swirl pot.
Now you have only one option and thats to drill and tap.

dark_knight

Member +
wildchild, i think you missed the part where i said the GT one was rust-laden and had a snapped sensor..
i'm sorted now though. thanks.. :)