DIS 5efte td04 build???

ruggiero06

Member +
i want to use a td04 for my dis 5efte build.

the only problem is that i notice that on the 4efte td04s on this board they seem to start spooling around 3700 and reach full boost around 4500. that is too laggy for me.

now im not doing drag, i will be doing autox. so responsiveness and reliability it my main focus. with the build i have in mind (months of research on these and tons of other boards) i could reach around 325bhp but i only want to run it around 225whp (275ish bhp)

if u want to see what i have in mind heres my thread
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=40631

now the question is how do i spool the td04 faster?

wouldnt the .2L of displacement help a little. also i need t know what is the wastegate port size on the td04. because if i get a bigger external wastegate wouldnt that spool it faster?

choosing which turbo to use has been the biggest hassle for me. the td04 can easily handle my power goals, it is relatively cheap, its reliable, and manifolds for it are easy to come by, i just need it to spool faster.

let me know what you guys think. thx

ruggiero06

Member +
ihi vf turbos. those are for sti and wrx right? which one do u reccomend as there are like 15 different models in the vf series.

drew-turbo

Member +
sorry i cant help you on that one was just an idea... your best off waiting for someone with more experiance sorry

ruggiero06

Member +
i think i will go with the twin scroll vf38 and vf24. dont know which one yet but the list is much shorter. has anyone used this before? i would like to see some graphs

Last edited:

goldenvtr

Member +
5e and td04l - i had mine spooling from 2k ad hitting 1.2bar at 3200. that was with a 8.5.1 comp ratio.

a bigger wastgate will NOT make it spool fast, it ill only make the boost more stable at higher pressures

hardcoreep

Member +
What are you doing to make a td04 start spooling at 3700. A td04 on a 5E is like using a CT on a 3SGTE. We just did a td05-16g build and that car has no lag and thats on 10psi. Even some old 4E td04 set up spool faster than that.

The only turbochargers in know that spool that late are Garretts and very big MHIs like the 20g or 25g.

ruggiero06

Member +
basically every td04 4e build on this board doent reach full boost til like 4500.

is a td05-16 smaller or bigger than a td04? whats the specs on it?

hardcoreep

Member +
basically every td04 4e build on this board doent reach full boost til like 4500.

is a td05-16 smaller or bigger than a td04? whats the specs on it?
I think your questions says a lot.

The td05 is larger than a td04 off the WRX that's rather popular on this site.

The td04 only spools that slow if you are running boost outside of its efficiency range. Running higher than 15psi will produce faster response. The other reason may be that most of you guys here use that td04 HUGE manifold, whereas in Jamaica we just cut the NA 5E manifold and use that. Its smaller and more direct.

a tdo4L on a 5E will start spooling at 2000rpm...seen it with my own eyes

u can reach boost of 10psi/20psi between 2800-3500rpm :cool: on the 5E

PS -this 5efte tdo4l can be made to spool even faster with a boost controller and some tuning:cool:

goldenvtr

Member +
a tdo4L on a 5E will start spooling at 2000rpm...seen it with my own eyes

u can reach boost of 10psi/20psi between 2800-3500rpm :cool: on the 5E

PS -this 5efte tdo4l can be made to spool even faster with a boost controller and some tuning:cool:

yup, even with me running outside the td04 range (11psi) it still spolled very very quickly.
Also refering back to my statment, I'm talking from my OWN experiance, and thats running stock ignition timming, im sure it can be bought down a few rpm with decent managment too. i guess ill find out when mapping the EMU

ruggiero06

Member +
rep given. thanks guys so far...tons of help. my head was about to pop...i was researching like 9 different turbos some costing 1200 USD(VF38) just to end up back to the td04.

now i know theres different version of the td04; td04h, td04l, td04 hybrid (dont know which one that is)

is there other versions? whats the difference?

thx. and of course will will be given

hardcoreep

Member +
rep given. thanks guys so far...tons of help. my head was about to pop...i was researching like 9 different turbos some costing 1200 USD(VF38) just to end up back to the td04.

now i know theres different version of the td04; td04h, td04l, td04 hybrid (dont know which one that is)

is there other versions? whats the difference?

thx. and of course will will be given

The important number on a MHI is after the dash, there are 14 trims of the td04. I run an 11b, most guys here run the stock WRX turbo which is a td04-13t. I've run up to a td04-15g which is a Greddy unit. My recommendation from experience is either the 13g, off the Lancer 1.8 GSR, or that Greddy 15g. If price is a factor then go for the 13t because they can be found cheap on eBay. Hybrid units are usually the larger td05 compressor wheel and a td04 exhaust wheel.

Having just been through this, I'd avoid the td04 on a 5E. You can run a td05-16g with little problem or lag. That turbo is larger and will give a wider powerband than the smaller td04 which will run out of steam up top.

ruggiero06

Member +
tell what you guys think. i want to be around 225whp. so on a td04l how much boost will i be running

1st gen 5e pistons, 1nd gen 5e steel shim head gasket, 2nd gen 5e head (ASSUMING 2nd gen head has same chamber volume as 1st gen 5e) and piston pop-up is the same as what I measured (0.051mm):
Enter Cylinder Bore Size: 74mm
Enter Piston Stroke Length: 87mm
Enter Head Gasket Bore Diameter: 74.34mm
Enter Compressed Head Gasket Thickness: 0.38mm
Enter Combustion Chamber Volume In CCs: 39cc
Enter Piston Dome Volume In CCs Negative For Dished Pistons (Use '-'): -1.83cc
Enter Piston Deck Clearance Negative If ABOVE Deck (Use '-') : -0.051mm

This combo results in a CR of 9.85:1

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Thats very high compression which sorta throws me a little, but if its any use to u, on a 4E setup with a comp ratio of roughly 8.2:1 to get 225whp you'd be looking at around 1.3 bar boost.

Now on the 5E with the extra torque and high compression it's maybe acheivable at 1.2 but not sure lad.

ruggiero06

Member +
just looking to get more response at lower end since with the td04 its more mid/high range.

i figured if its all forged and rebuilt that it should handle that comp ratio fine. if u guys dont think it will hold up ill glady go with the stock 5e cr which is 9.4:1

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Oh she'll take it lad, especially with the newly released ARP head bolts! Make sure u have a strong head gasket on there too though.

My 8:2.1 cr TD04 build had 1 bar boost at 3800rpm on a 4E build, with ur planned CR and extra 200ccs you have it by 2800rpm I'd say which for a turbo is right on the button.

Sorry lad for my ignorance, but what is Autox? What sort of style is it?