dizzy cap came off

jimmer

Member +
i was driving up the road and the car cut out. Turned out to be the dizzy cap slipping off, don't know if the bolts both worked loose or what but just wanna know if this coulda caused any damage??????

Jay

Admin
Now at least that's one thing I didn't touch lol..

The bolts would need to have been a bit loose to work themselves off mate. Can't see it causing any damage other than a fault code. Just unplug the battery for 5 mins to clear that.

Remind me to go round the whole car with the spanners next weekend, I'll tighten every fucking bolt I can find for ya!

jimmer

Member +
lol god hopefully it hasn't. Been one of those days lol. It just cut out, didn't see any smoke or anything. The only thing was a bit of oil going on the exhaust, so hoping that was just some oil that came out where the cap came off. Ill be getting two bolts on her tomorrow and try to set it where the bolts looked like they were.

Jay

Admin
That would sound like the entire distributor that left the engine then..

Can't see it losing too much oil given the senario. We never set up the timing on that engine mate, did anyone else give it a go recently?

That's about the only thing I can think of that would explain the loose bolts.

jimmer

Member +
no mate, nobody has touched the timing, what would happen if its off?
Im not gonna get hung up on how the bolts came out lol, just worried about any damage that could have been done. Plus hopin that the oil spillage was from where the dizzy cap came off, and not from somewhere else due to possible damage. Like i said the car started an drove spot on, but i know from experience, that doesn't mean the car is totally healthy lol.

Jay

Admin
Just doublecheck the oil level and I'll give her the once over at the weekend. :)

The engine cut out soon as the dizzy came off so I can't see any damage being done.

jimmer

Member +
well when it cut out i was still in gear, so would that have caused the engine to be forced to turn over in turn causing damage lol? Sorry to be a pain, but i am a worryer lol.

corofin12345

Member +
na mate you should be alright... its just like plugging out the king lead or loosing spark.. nothing 2 worry bout... just pop it back in a make sure it aligned with the cam properly..

weeJohn

Lifer
Jimmer was it just the black plastic cap that the 4 spark leads plug into came off, or was it the whole distributor (the bit that the cap attaches to that slots into the rocker cover and is bolted to the side of the head with 2 bolts) that came out?

jimmer

Member +
it was the whole distributor that bolts to the side, sorry i only realised today that i have been saying the cap. I have bolted it back on and lined up the bolts with were they were before, covering the clean marks that were left from the bolts. That will hopefully do untill i get someone to check the timing with a timing light. Wouldn't it?????

Last edited:

Moffett

Member +
I would get it checked asap jimmer just to be on the safe side, I learnt my lesson not getting the timing checked straight away and driving it :(

weeJohn

Lifer
Get it checked sooner rather than later mate.

Does it start? if not you may have put it in 180 degrees out. You would need to pull it out a bit, turn the rotor 180 degrees and put it back in again.

jimmer

Member +
yeah it starts an drives perfectly normally, no noises/smoke/rattles/stuttering/dead points etc. I'll be getting it checked asap anyway but all seems fine thankfully.
fingers crossed it stays that way.
Cheers for the help folks, this what this site is great for :)