Downpipe Flow comparisons: Blitz & Zep Racing

riko666

Member +
Right, I'm having a bit of a dilemma in deciding what Downpipe to utilise on my car - the main factors of the decision are namely flow rates of the 2, and, well...durability. Pretty much, my Engine Mounts are not in the best of condition and I wouldn't be able to afford an Engine Damper for a long while...true it's not a necessity but, it's a safeguard.

Well I have a Zep Racing Decat, and may be able to get a hold of a Blitz Downpipe which I've wanted for a long time...so, considering I've just had a 2.5" Exhaust System made up, which of the 2 is the better flowing as well, or is there not much of a discrepancy between the 2? I just don't want the Zep Downpipe on just to have it split in a few months. I have been assured by the seller that he's had one on a car in worse conditions...but I can't afford the offchance that it does break.

So decisions? Sell my brand new Zep Racing Downpipe and get the Blitz Downpipe or keep the Zep Racing one?

riko666

Member +
it's what I'm leaning to, to be brutally honest...but the Blitz one doesn't cost much less than the Zep Racing I have, and the Blitz Downpipe is well used, mine is brand new

WallaceGlanza

Member +
It doesnt matter that the blitz is well used as it will last forever.

However I think the blitz is only 2" diameter, but I still made a reasonable power figure so it can't effect it that much.;)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
im using the zep decat and ive not had any problems with it. ive had it on for half a year and no cracks etc.. ok ive been running pretty much standard apart from a filter and exhaust buts been great so far and looks lovely, very well designed too.

but then again reliablity may change under more boost etc, but if your running stock boost the zep is fine in my opinion

riko666

Member +
well the Zep measured 2.309" externally, so I presume the internal diameter is 2.25"...and I do intend on running more boost once I get my CT9b installed...bah, I really really want to go for the Blitz. Probably would be best, then when I can afford the Polyurethane Engine Mounts/Engine Damper go to a Zep Racing one?

Monkfish

Member +
If they are the same diameter, don't bother swapping unless you are going to take a ride on the brand name bandwagon. If one is bigger, go for that one.

riko666

Member +
Meh, I'm usually a frequent traveller of said Bandwagon, but in this case I may just be a bit more sensible for once and go for the more durable option, as with the moneyflow, I'm not going to reach the point of needing to reduce air-flow bottlenecks by much. Also being me, I would really appreciate the weight savings from the Zep Racing decat but...meh. Maybe when i have more money I'll buy one and experiment when I KNOW it won't snap.

So, may just mean I have a brand new Zep Racing Decat for sale...offers? Shall open a classifieds thread obviously.

Andynista

Fresh Recruit
I have used both. The ZEP for a longer time and after 20 circuit racing weekends with it, its holding just fine, although I have TRD mounts and ZEP engine damper. I have sourced a Blitz downpipe, because I run 2 different championships, and one I use a top mount intercooler and the other I use a front mount. I needed the blitz because it has the oe bolts that bolt to the transmission housing and that makes it very stiff and supports an aftermarket manifold and the position of the oxigen sensor is a few degrees to where I need it to be, so it wont touch the FMIC piping. Only problem is I have not tried both manifolds with the same intercooler configuration to feel for differences in power.

Hope that helps..... hahaahhaaha