Draining old fuel from tank....?

Macker

Lifer
Hi guys,

Well today i completed the dreaded replacement of the heater matrix and all is working well on that....

However the list of things i need to complete to get the GT back on the road still goes on (although i am 90% there now)

Next thing on my list is to drain the old fuel that has been in the tank for well over 2 years now and is causing me idle and starting problems... I will be replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the injectors anyway, but before i do that i want to drain out the crap fuel and any dirt that has accumulated in the tank...
I know i can do the draining by running the pump linking out B+ and FP in the diagnostic plug and turning the ignition to IG2 with the pipe off to the rail.

BUT i dont know how much crap is in the tank and if it will cause any damage of the pump or anything so my question is, is there a simple way to remove the tank and pour out the remaining fuel into a container to dispose of it and be safe in the knowledge that there isn't even a dribble of crap fuel left?

Cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
old fuel wont harm anything. i would pump it out with the fuel pump and then whip the fuel pump out and have a look in the tank. if it looks good. button it up, stick a fresh tank a fuel in it and your done. i would very much doubt there is any crap in there worth worrying about

Jay

Admin
As Duncan says, you should be okay to pump it out via the fuel pump. If you remove the pump unit from the tank you can double check what is actually in there beforehand though (just in case you want to be 100% sure).

Remove rear seat, two bolt connections, a hose and several 8mm bolts, remove dripping unit from cabin and get the torch out. Not the burning stick type though!