Driveshaft ep82

gtevi

Member +
Is the driveshaft on a 94 gt the same as the std na ep91 starlets?
Mechanic reckon is similar price to just replace boots and get a new one. Cheers

gtevi

Member +
One of the outer boots is torn and the inner boot or centre boot(not sure what it ls called) is torn or damaged spraying grease up the engine bay and on the exhaust

dac69er

Super Moderator
The shafts are pretty much the same. Do you have abs?
The joints are a bit meatier, not sure if the actual shaft is any thicker tbh.
If you aren't big power, it will be fine with na shafts/joints.

You can get replacement inner and outer joints, the shaft itself is rarely damaged.

gtevi

Member +
No abs. And no not crazy power. Just exhaust, wepr mani and downpipe hks actuator. Cone filter. Perhaps a wepr fmic further down the road but I think that's going to be it.

gtevi

Member +
The centre one is the joint in the shaft is my main concern because it's spraying grease up through the engine bay and onto exhaust.

SKINY

Lifer
Would get it done soon before it throws all the grease out and then you'll need joints
I have that t shirt :)

gtevi

Member +
Copy that,
When I'm searching online it doesn't specify auto or man but when I call a local parts place they asked me. They are the same??

dac69er

Super Moderator
Copy that,
When I'm searching online it doesn't specify auto or man but when I call a local parts place they asked me. They are the same??
Tbh, they probably ask that even if there was no auto option, it's just a stock question.

I don't believe there. Is a difference. The only difference to be aware of is abs or non abs and the inner spline count on some of the outer CV joints are different.

They are usually 23/23 I believe but sometimes you get a 23/30. Only way to know is to take it apart and look.

gtevi

Member +
Ok. I've had another look under the car at the issue and I could be wrong but it looks like the grease is coming out from between the housing and boot. Could this just be a worn/loose seal and I could potentially replace that?
1st picture of the dodgy exhaust install when there is only a few mm clearance from driveshaft, 2nd is re-routed exhaust.
Could the heat from exhaust have loosened or worn the metal seal?

Attachments

• 20230901_184221.jpg
    20230901_184221.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230906_205925.jpg
    20230906_205925.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7

SKINY

Lifer
Should be able to slip it back and clean it to make sure nothing has got in, then repack it with grease, lithium based grease. Then a new clip or good strong cable tie :)

Ok. I've had another look under the car at the issue and I could be wrong but it looks like the grease is coming out from between the housing and boot. Could this just be a worn/loose seal and I could potentially replace that?
1st picture of the dodgy exhaust install when there is only a few mm clearance from driveshaft, 2nd is re-routed exhaust.
Could the heat from exhaust have loosened or worn the metal seal?

i had a similar issue to you..i fitted an aftermarket boot, as the original was torn, and i got a little grease escaping from between the boot and in-borne joint housing...i cleaned up everything and did exactly as Skiny said above---making sure i pulled the cable tie a bit tighter. I have only taken it for a short drive since then, and everything looked ok afterwards...i'll keep monitoring it

gtevi

Member +
How do you pull the cable Tie tighter. It's not a regular cable tie obviously but is there a way to do it with your standard tools?

SKINY

Lifer
I've managed it once with adjustable grips but it was a knightmare, there is a proper set of pliers for them available, your mechanic may have a set.

dark_knight

Member +
You can also use some decent worm-gear clamps snipped to just the right size if you are brave enough.. :D

How do you pull the cable Tie tighter. It's not a regular cable tie obviously but is there a way to do it with your standard tools?

dac69er

Super Moderator
You can also use some decent worm-gear clamps snipped to just the right size if you are brave enough.. :D
It's pretty close to the centre of the rotating assembly, but you may get some slight vibration by using those if you aren't careful.

I would also check clearances, especially at the hub end as the lower ball joint can sit pretty close and it may catch.

I would stick with the proper clips, I've never had issue installing them in position before!?