driveshaft/lsd advise needed asap

Adam_Glanza

Member +
hi guys,

basically ive had a horrible knocking coming from the car, now i know diffs are reknowned for knocking but it didnt make this noise when i first had the diff fitted, only started like a week or maybe 2 afterwards.

im sure its gradually been getting louder and more frequent!

had the car over the pit today to check for any noticable signs, had a play around with the driveshaft were it plugs into the gearbox, and i can literally pull the driveshaft in and out by like a inch, its also making a knock noise.

is this normal on diff gearbox's? the driveshafts arent leaking its just this noise that is making me think wat is wrong, but im not sure if diff box's are suppose to do this?

any help would be very much appreciated lads

Spoonz

Member +
just read the top sorry.
Have u pulled the shaft out to check the the teeth are ok. You could jack it up and spin the wheel to check this is where the knocking is coming from.
Aftermarket diffs are usually noisy and knock depends what lsd itis aswell

Texx

Super Moderator
The inboard joint will 'float' so to speak on the driveshaft itself, its the snap ring on the end of the spline that holds it in the box.

Do both inboard joints feel the same? If its just the one, pull that shaft out and check the inboard joint and make sure its got a snap ring on it, if it hasn't, you'll just have to hope its not floating around inside the box.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
both were pretty much the same movement, its an lsd box.

i no that lsd box's are ment to click sometimes, but the thing that is strange is that it never clicked like this before, and i think its getting more frequent!

it makes the noise alot when just coming off the clutch and say slightly turning, makes a CLACK CLACK CLACK noise?

but when im actually driving in a straight line its fine,

so its normal for the inside joints/shaft to be able to move around?

Texx

Super Moderator
You shouldn't be able to just pull the shafts out of the box, there should be some resistance, as they are held in by snap rings.

If the clack clack noise is only heard when turning, I'd be more inclined to say that one of your outboard CV joints is shagged.

A diff tends to make a knock or clunk kind of noise, a worn outboard joint tends to make a clacking or ticking noise.

steo800

Member +
if you had the car over a pit(wheels still holding weight of car), there should be NO MOVEMENT of the shaft in or out.

the inner joint CAN move in and out but this it only to facilitate the movement of the shock(up and down) as it will change the length of point A(inner joint) to point B(hub).

the only way the inner joint should be able to move in or out is-
-shock movement up or down
-shock has been unbolted from hub and car is jacked up
-hub has been unbolted from swing arm and car is jacked up
-both the above have been unbolted
-the center nut holding shaft in place with hub has come loose or completly off.

the reason the shaft should not move in and out is because the outter joint has no play for shaft movement in and out. only the inner joint has this movement

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yes sorry im talking about the joint that connects to the gearbox end not the brakes end.

i can move them backwards and forwards about an inch with the car on the floor!

im just really puzzled :( problem is the noise seems to be coming from both sides!

steo800

Member +
have at look at the shaft on the brakes end(outter) and see what is moving with the shaft.

you shouldnt be able to move it at all with the car on the floor

Adam_Glanza

Member +
sorry not sure if im making it 100% clear here,

the HOLE shaft isnt moving, its only the inside part, where the joint is connected to the gearbox that has play.

i can move the inside joint back and forth about an inch, but ive never seen a gearbox do that before? ( maybe ive never really checked it )

is this normal for lsd gearbox's? i wasnt sure if they allow a bit of play due to how they work etc?

but when i move the part in and out it makes the same "clunk" noise that i hear when driving

Texx

Super Moderator
An outboard CV joint with no play in it doesn't necessarily mean its in good condition.

Current model diesel Civic's O/S outboard CV joints like to fail more often than we'd like. When they go, you cant feel any play and wont even find anything obvious with them stripped apart, but on a full lock they can make a noise a piece of margarine tub stuck in the spokes of the back wheel of your bike when you were a kid (or am I the only one that did this :homer:)

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Sounds normal to me shaft wise, sounds like a LSD noise is it happening both sides, when you turn in, on load or off explain as best you can..

T

Texx

Super Moderator
I wouldn't be so concerned about the back and forward turning movement, its the fact you can pull the inner joints out of the diff so easy that concerns me, or am I missing something?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
it does it at very strange times tbh,

pulling out of junctions and when just coming off the clutch is probably the main time!

like if im in traffic ( got a orc clutch ) and i start to pull away, only literally crawling if i turn the wheel slightly and i mena slightly i get the clonk clonk clonk noise and a bit of a judder threw the steering wheel, then all goes away for a while. can drive straight and go round corners at a speed and it makes no noise at all

Adam_Glanza

Member +
I wouldn't be so concerned about the back and forward turning movement, its the fact you can pull the inner joints out of the diff so easy that concerns me, or am I missing something?

im sorry mate ive confused people i think its hard to explain.

i cant ACTUALLY pull the shaft out the diff, its still located inside but it moves around quite a bit when you give the inner shaft a wiggle