driveshaft seal

If you take out the driveshaft on the gearbox there is a seal that sits up against the driveshaft. Is this replaceable as mine is slightly torn on the box im going to be putting in my car and also i was trying to see if it pulls out and i pulled like a stretchy metal ring out of it. Assume this keeps it tight u against the shaft. If the seal is replaceable whats the proper name for it, how is it removed and does anyone have a part number? Sorry for all questions but need to get my car back on road asap and dont want gearbox oil leaking .

Rob H

Member +
It's the drive shaft seal mate and yes you can replace them you can get them from Toyota easily but make sure you get the correct one or better still do them both while the box is out.

Rob H

Member +
O and just use a big screw driver or some thing to remove them. That spring is what you said it holds the seal to the shaft the new seals will come with them in place.

aidan

Member +
just take out both seals with a screw driver as said above and take them to a seal company they will have them on the shelf and are usually much cheaper

Jay

Admin
Best to stick with genuine Toyota seals in my experience.

They are around a tenner each from your local dealership.

Jay

Jay

Admin
That LSD drivers side seal info looks wrong. Part number should be 90311-34042 (£7.92 plus vat).

Jay

I ordered seals today, told him 90311-34016 nd that was fine then told him 34017 nd it transferred to 340042, my gearbox is non LSD so does that mean its the wrong one, and which one is the drivers side

spence

Member +
i have just looked at those pictures of the seals and it looks like the gearbox has to come off :s

Is that what i have to do because iv just got the engine back in and dont realy want to mess around taking the box back off

spence

Member +
no it doesn't just pop the drives out of the box

Yeah it came out with a long ass pry bar Lols, does anyone know the exact diameter of these seals because I think Ill be able to get them cheaper if I go to a place near me that makes seals and I won't be havin to wait on them delivering also

spence

Member +
just take the seal into the company and they will measure it for ya thats what i did

I did that n I ended up with one like a quarter or half a mm too small coz the seal I took out was fucked and bend when I tried to remove it so it would help a lot of I had the exact dimensions of it if anybody had got them