dual runner intake manifold

villen25

Member +
I am trying to achieve more power, would you run it on your car? I was reading about it and couldnt really digest what they were saying... can you explain what it does

:homer:

Toyota T23

Member +
It is made to get better low end tourge, and a bit more high end, when it opens for second tube.
You need maniment system to control the ACIS

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
mainpic9.jpg

Hoodey uses it. And he uses his Emanage Ultimate to control it. The ACIS doesn't open at once. It starts to open at 3000rpm and is fully open by 5000rpm. You cannot do this with a n Variable Valve Timing controller as none I know of are progressive. You have to do what Hoodey did which is make a map in the EMU to control how it operates.

mainpic10.jpg

http://hardcore.ep91.com/engine_5EACIS.html This is Hoodey's documentation.

It works just like I expected. Using the long runner kills top end power, while using the short runners reduces bottom end power. Hoodey dynoed the car in either state the computed the optimum operational range from that to get the best of both worlds.

mainpic13.jpg

Its actually the best manifold to have, if you can control it.

Toyota T23

Member +
I wouldt just make it open, when boost kick ind.
That varibel dont make it any better.
We tryed it on a 3SGE BEAMS VVTI engine, with varibel cams.
1 running stock ECU, and 1 running Megasquirt and just switched the VVT.
They made almost identical dynos.(I know it is not inlet mani)

We also tryed it on 3SGTE witch runs with T-vis and stock opens at 4000rpm.
We changed it so that t-vis kick ind at boost, it made better powerband.

Just my experence.

hardcoreep

Member +
I wouldt just make it open, when boost kick ind.
That varibel dont make it any better.
We tryed it on a 3SGE BEAMS VVTI engine, with varibel cams.
1 running stock ECU, and 1 running Megasquirt and just switched the VVT.
They made almost identical dynos.(I know it is not inlet mani)

We also tryed it on 3SGTE witch runs with T-vis and stock opens at 4000rpm.
We changed it so that t-vis kick ind at boost, it made better powerband.

Just my experence.
TVIS and ACIS operate differently. TVIS opens at a set rpm point. ACIS tries to maintain a constant powerband and flat torque curve by opening progressively. Simply triggering the ACIS will create a flat spot. People here have used boost to operate the ACIS to little success. The Ultimate offers an automated a better powerband much closer to factory performance.

My experience with VVT has been rather different than yours. With VVT disengaged the car made more peak power, but less torque, which is what I expected.

VVT: come in at 3000rpm and stops at 6500rpm moving the cam to a fixed position depending on the engine. On the 4AGE20v its +15degrees.

VVTi (dual as on the SXE10): operates from 1600rpm to 6000rpm and moves the cam +/-15degrees based on load conditions. If you send a constant signal to the VVT solenoid the cam engages straight to +15degrees and stays there until the signal stops. The stock ECU doesn't operate like this.

Toyota T23

Member +
TVIS and ACIS operate differently. TVIS opens at a set rpm point. ACIS tries to maintain a constant powerband and flat torque curve by opening progressively. Simply triggering the ACIS will create a flat spot. People here have used boost to operate the ACIS to little success. The Ultimate offers an automated a better powerband much closer to factory performance.

My experience with VVT has been rather different than yours. With VVT disengaged the car made more peak power, but less torque, which is what I expected.

VVT: come in at 3000rpm and stops at 6500rpm moving the cam to a fixed position depending on the engine. On the 4AGE20v its +15degrees.

VVTi (dual as on the SXE10): operates from 1600rpm to 6000rpm and moves the cam +/-15degrees based on load conditions. If you send a constant signal to the VVT solenoid the cam engages straight to +15degrees and stays there until the signal stops. The stock ECU doesn't operate like this.

Yes i know how VVT works, installed megasquirt many times on 4age20v, and turboed it.It stops at 5800rpm i belive.

About VVTI, is is not that big problem just give it constant signal, hardly any difference like i said.
We tryed it on a nissan NEO to, it was both VVTI an L(lift), made nice dyno, i try find, it and post it.

Had no experence with ACIS and never will.

Toyota T23

Member +
Well just talked to those with the 3sge BEAMS VVTI engine, 1 running stock ECU, the orther running Megasquirt and just give constant to VVTI.
Funny enough make the one with megasquirt and constant VVTI more hp and tourghe.
Stock ECU 195hp 230 nm
Megasquirt 198hp 254nm.
Like i said, dont se any problem.

I will get the dyno sheeds

villen25

Member +
though it will not give that much extra power, wouldnt the acceleration be a lot quicker with the setup of the long and short runners?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
mate if you want more power you do not need to change your intake mani.....

your stock one will do.. there are easier and more effective mods to be deblt with.

NDR008

Fresh Recruit
OOoooooooooo this is a very very old argument that took part at toyotanation, tercelonline, and the very old TGTT...
my technical answer - no noticble difference with a turbocharger bolted right before it :p