Early morning fun

king_stu

Member +
MOT this morning, failed on steering gaitor. Just waiting on the price of the service/MOT.... Got to get some new front and rear pads.
Is it normal for rear pads to wear quick. Only done about 15-18k miles with the rears...

sx_turbo

Lifer
no not really, if i were you i would check them yourself, incase the mechanic is trying to take you for a ride.

king_stu

Member +
sx_turbo, they are good boys. Trust them completely (been going there a long time now and have had nothing but sweet service). But as you said check them (i'll be doing the brakes as it saves me about £30-£50 notes...
Dave_gtturbo, you might be right about the hand brake. I'll have a look. Is there any points on the rear claiper that you can spray/grease? (its got new cables anyway as the old stuck on! LOL)

Dave.

Member +
my mates were the same, i'd check the little spring that operates the handbrake, its on the top of the caliper..

Get the car jacked up, and have someone pull and let off the handbrake, as he does that, check the wheel rotates freely, if it doesnt, then take it off, and watch what parts move when he applies the handbrake - then aply the lube (to the moving parts!) and force them free again, repeat several times and *hopefully* it'll be ok (if it is even sticking!)

the part i'd watch for in particular is where the cable joins the caliper (at the spring) it'll make sense when its all on show, i promise ;)

Dave

king_stu

Member +
Yer i know the part you mean. So i'll have a look at the weekend when i have time. Good news, service and MOT (with everything fixed bar the brake pads) cost £308. So not bad. Can't wait to get her back now...

king_stu

Member +
Yer she is but she felt sooooooooooooooooooooo much better last night. She was pulling really hard (and i mean a lot harder) from 3.5k on wards.