EBC fitted but not holding/controlling the boost ... is it my fitting or the unit?

gizzy98

Member +
Hi Guys,

Ive just fitted a SBC ID and have roadtested it and it doesnt seem to be holding the boost or controlling it.

The unit was second hand and i reset the controller before setting it up. Ive got CH1 set at 0.65 but on road test it boosted way over this and hit fuel cut at one point. I expected it to be similar to the low boost setting on the original solenoid. The speed map setting is turned off as I havnt setup the power meter yet.

IMAG0027.jpg

(Speed calibration hasnt been setup on the Power Meter hence the peak reading is over the legal speed limit)

I bypassed the stock Hi/Lo solenoid when I 1st got the car and ive installed the solenoid on top the ABS unit with all new pipes and clips:

IMAG0024.jpg

Ive taken the boost reading from below which reads fine:

boostsignal.jpg

Can anyone see anything wrong with how I have fitted it or is there anything im missing with regards to setting it up, or do you think the unit may be faulty?

Anyone know how to test the solenoid?

Any help appreciated,

Adam

gizzy98

Member +
Update:

I tested it again on the way to work this morning and in 5th with foot flat down the boost seemed to hold at around .80 (even though the controller is still set to 0.65) but if you put your foot down in 3rd etc it will over boost loads.

Could this just be case of boost creep? I was getting creep before and hitting fuel cut after fitting my decat and exhaust.

Would the boost creep even bypass the EBC?

I was planning on getting a HKS actuatot and porting the waste gate a bit as I have a ported standard mani to fit as well.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Do you not have an adjustable actuator on already? Get a HKS one on there, much stronger & will hold boost alot better along with your ebc. I have the same EBC as you know, & dosent creep at all. I have HKS actuator etc.. :)

gizzy98

Member +
Thanks Mate, ive just got the standard actuator atm which was creeping after I fitted my decat and exhaust - hence the EBC.

From the Pics would say the fitting looks ok?

Im looking to order a HKS jobbie asap as well buddy.

Rep added :)

(I tried to anyway but I need to rep some more before I add rep to you again :/)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
From what i can see, it looks same as mine was fitted. The little black hose that comes from the silver flat box thing...where did you fix that hose to?

Yeah get the HKS adjustable actuator, should help things out.

gizzy98

Member +
Ive got that attached to a vacuum from the inlet manifold, Tee'd off a pipe that goes to the stock turbo pressure sensor so the boost reading is spot on.

Ill try to get hold of a HKS actuator, was just worried that it may be afaulty SBC as it was second hand but im pretty sure its going to be the actuator allowing the boost to creep.

Not sure if there is anyway to test the solenoid either.

your EBC wont eliminate creep nor will the uprated actuator, only way is to port the wastegate or get an ex/gate, if it was creeping before the ebc was fitted i would just set about porting the wastegate to get a more stable boost pressure.

gizzy98

Member +
Hi Garry,

Thanks for this mate, I was looking to get an uprated actuator and then port the wastegate out a bit afterwards as ive got a ported standard mani to go as well so need to take the tubby off.

Do you think the boost creep is my problem then as opposed to possible EBC fault?

Cheers,

Adam

yeah am 80% sure its your boost creep, with less restrictions with respect to your intake and exhaust/manifold more gas is displaced through the turbo, the standard wastegate cannot handle the increase in gas's and fails to expell them from the system hence you will experience creep, making your wastegate larger will allow the wastegate to remove more pressure and keep you boost stable when using your EBC, porting the wastegate is the step i would take from here as you stated it creeped before you put the ebc on.
hope that helps alittle mate, i am using a greddy profec b spec 2 with a hks actuator and the results are superb with quicker spool time.

gizzy98

Member +
Thanks mate, was just a bit worried as it was a second hand EBC but if its creeping then even a brand new one wouldnt control it.

Ill see about sourcing an actuator and then remove the decat to port the wastegate at the same time.

Thanks for your help

durmz

Member +
its definatly boost creep, the boost controller cant do anything about it, only way is to get the wastegate to flow better, a hks actuator has been shown to help the problem, but not massively,

at the end of the day if the wastegate cant flow all ure excess exhaust gas then ure stuck no matter what else you do

Thanks mate, was just a bit worried as it was a second hand EBC but if its creeping then even a brand new one wouldnt control it.

Ill see about sourcing an actuator and then remove the decat to port the wastegate at the same time.

Thanks for your help

no problem, i think theres a link on here to port the gate somewhere i'll try and find it for you

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40945

Last edited:

gizzy98

Member +
Right, just ordered an actuator from Sumopower for £92 all in so should get it shortly & cross fingers it helps.

Excellent thanks, sounds as though porting and the actuator combined should sort it.

just porting the wastegate will sort it alone but standard actuator can become tired, so recommended that you use a uprated one like a hks as the spring is alot stronger.

Guye

Lifer
Agreed with most of the comments posted. Just one clarification to add...if the standard actuator goes weak it causes boost pressure drops at higher rpms not boost creep. It wouldn't contribute to boost creep since a weak actuator keeps the wastegate open, hurting spoolup and boost holding. Garry's posts are correct, just be warned if you install a uprated actuator without addressing the cause of the creep (port the wastegate or add a restriction to the inlet or add a restriction to the exhaust system) you will likely make matters worse.

gizzy98

Member +
Thanks Guye,

But the weak actuator wouldnt hold the boost which would cause the increase and fuel cut?

Ill port the wastegate as well and if it doesnt cure it along with the actuator ill refit the cat to add some restriction back to the exhaust I think until I get it sorted as its not healthy hitting fuel cut :/

Guye

Lifer
Thanks Guye,

But the weak actuator wouldnt hold the boost which would cause the increase and fuel cut?

Ill port the wastegate as well and if it doesnt cure it along with the actuator ill refit the cat to add some restriction back to the exhaust I think until I get it sorted as its not healthy hitting fuel cut :/
Think of it this way. If there was no wastegate all of the exhaust gases passing over the trubine would cause it to spin faster and faster, resulting in "infinity boost". The wastegate's primary function is to prevent this from occuring. When the wastegate opens it directs enough of the exhaust gases away from the turbine causing it to slow and stabilizing its speed of rotation. This stable speed of rotation creates stable boost pressure (the principle is the same whatever your boost level). If the actuator spring is weak, the wastegate opens too earlier in the spoolup process before the desired turbine speed can be acheived. It is also incapable of properly responding to the solenoids attemps to regulate the wastegate to stabilize boost pressure. This results in turbo lag, boost drop and lack of response (i.e it takes longer to reach 10psi and at high rpm the pressure drops to 7psi). Your problem is the oposite of this, there are extra gases now acting on the turbine most likely caused by the exhaust and intake modifications. The stock wastegate, even when opened, cannot divert enough exhaust gases away from the turbine to slow it properly and stabilize it's rotation speed. The result is steadily increasing turbine revolutions/steadily increasing boost pressure as the rpms climb or boost creep. If you are getting creep on a weak actuator which opens the wastegate prematurely, installing an uprated unit designed to keep the wastegate closed to aid spoolup and response will make the situation worse.

Last edited:

TomS

Lifer
Block the second port on the actuator to run low boost, then raise it up to 0.65 with the ebc.

An ebc cant reduce boost below the actuator base setting, which in your case is 0.69.

With a base setting of 0.5, the ebc should hold boost steady at 0.65.

Make sure you have the gain set correctly too or you'll get boost spikes