Engine cutting out?

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Hi so I opened the Ep82 up (on low boost) on an open road yesterday and when I was hitting around 100mph (i suspect around 5krpm) the throttle kept cutting. The engine didnt stall but everytime I put the pedal down the car would jerk for a split second and will not go over 5krpm.

Is this the dreaded fuel cut mechanism? If so it looks like im going to get one fitted :)

The car is modified beyond spec, but as it was a private sale im not fully aware of the full list of mods. The previous owner claimed it put out about 210BHP on high boost with no FCD. I can list all the modifications that im aware of if this helps.

Thanks.

Edit:
ull ss exhaust system including (rare) road runner decat, with a full custom manifold
hks front mount intercooler
hks air-filter re-located to the front bumper
hks earthing kit
blitz turbo timer
Greddy type s bov(rare and mint condition!!)
iridium spark plugs
magnecore uprated ht leads
ported ct-9 turbo with hks actuator
oil catch can
blue/orange samco hosing
trd high pressure oil and rad caps
walbro 255 feul pump
its boosting at 0.75-8 bar
air con removed

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
is it like you hit something!? for a second and fine again? if so its probably fuelcut.. you got a boost guage to see what presure you getting? did a diag test to see if it comes up with any codes?

spec would help.

Schism

Fresh Recruit
is it like you hit something!? for a second and fine again? if so its probably fuelcut.. you got a boost guage to see what presure you getting? did a diag test to see if it comes up with any codes?

spec would help.

Yeah, it does feel like you hit something for a second. No gauges as of yet, the interior was pretty much stripped when I bought it and I havent got around to cleaning it up (only got the car on saturday :p ) and first thing i wanted to do is open it up and see what shes made of! The spec as requested is an edit in the previous post

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the thread link Craig, very insightful but im not sure how I remedy this. Is the FCD not necessary then? One viable solution is to port the wastegate, but I think it already has been ported?

Hmm..

Craig_GT

Lifer
You could turn the boost down slightly mate which would help.
If you havent got gauges how do you know its runnin .75bar-.8bar?

Schism

Fresh Recruit
I don't :) It's just what I've been told. Very messy! This is probably a stupid question but how would I turn the boost down? I know very little about motors, least of all turbo-charged models!

Edit: Also, is the turbo creep harmful in any way? And what explains the engine chocking when I reach higher speeds? Is the FCD not neccessary then? Many thanks

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
I don't :) It's just what I've been told. Very messy! This is probably a stupid question but how would I turn the boost down? I know very little about motors, least of all turbo-charged models!

Edit: Also, is the turbo creep harmful in any way? And what explains the engine chocking when I reach higher speeds? Is the FCD not neccessary then? Many thanks

youv got an adjustable hks actuator right? give it a turn or two out and re fit

Craig_GT

Lifer
When you are reachin higher speeds you are reaching higher revs and runnin higher boost, fuel cut is like a safety device which stops the car runnin too high a boost as it will be runnin lean aswell. an FCD will stop this judderin from happening but will not solve the problem and would cause damage to the engine as it bypasses the safety device of fuel cut.

to turn the boost down use your adjustable actuator by extending the length of the arm by maybe one or 2 turns - as said above

When you are reachin higher speeds you are reaching higher revs and runnin higher boost, fuel cut is like a safety device which stops the car runnin too high a boost as it will be runnin lean aswell. an FCD will stop this judderin from happening but will not solve the problem and would cause damage to the engine as it bypasses the safety device of fuel cut.

to turn the boost down use your adjustable actuator by extending the length of the arm by maybe one or 2 turns - as said above

hes hardly hittin the 180kph limit???as he says he was doin hundred miles an hour wouldnt be far of it:confused:

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Not gone under the bonnet yet but I drove to work this morning in high boost. Gave it a boot on a common open road near me and I didnt have the same problem, so it seems it only happens on low boost. Is this relevant?

Craig_GT

Lifer
Strange, could be just coincidence...
When drivin last night was it cold conditions? cold air (being denser) can cause more boost creep than warm air.

davehart

Member +
If it has a hi/low boost mode it can't have an HKS Actuator as they only allow the one mode unless its got a manual boost controller or an electronic boost controller to offer two boost levels. If your using the standard hi/low button thats on the centre console then I doubt its got an uprated actuator.

Second point, if its doing it in low boost that would eradicate fuel cut as low only boosts to .45 on a good day as it is. 210bhp with those mods? The guy selling you must have been on poppers.

Schism

Fresh Recruit
If it has a hi/low boost mode it can't have an HKS Actuator as they only allow the one mode unless its got a manual boost controller or an electronic boost controller to offer two boost levels. If your using the standard hi/low button thats on the centre console then I doubt its got an uprated actuator.

Second point, if its doing it in low boost that would eradicate fuel cut as low only boosts to .45 on a good day as it is. 210bhp with those mods? The guy selling you must have been on poppers.

It is using the standard boost buttons as when switching to hi boost it makes a HELL of a difference. Might need to invest in one of these actuators then :p

TomS

Lifer
Five different ways to stop this. Most expensive - least expensive
1. Fit an adjustible actuator, rrfpr and a fcd and get the fueling checked
2. Fit an adjustible actuator and turn the boost down
3. Port the wastegate
4. Restrict the inlet with some duck tape
5. Control the right foot on cold nights

davehart

Member +
The first thing I would do before those points Tom has suggested to see if it is fuel cut is to plug in a boost guage and see what its boosting at.

If its on the standard actuator which I'm 100% sure it is looks like its fuel cut. The hi boost mode is when the little green light in the dash if off.

With those mods I bet its creeping like a mother fucker with the standard actuator on it.