Engine idles at 1100 RPM

blackbullet

Member +
I just change my engine. My last engine idles at around 700 - 800 RPM and I could make adjustments up or down with the idle screw. This new engine idles at around 1100RPM. When I adjust the idle screw the lowest it will go is to about 900RPM. However, if I go into diag mode on the ECU the idle drops to 700 rpm and the timing is spot on at 10 deg. Also, if I unplug the idle control valve (ICV) the idle drops to around 700 rpm but once I plug it back in it back to 1100. I have changed the idle control valve (ICV) but it makes no difference. The throttle body I am using is from my old engine so I know it cant be that. I have also change all temp sensors to no avail. I have also noticed that when I plug in the idle control valve I hear a slight suction around that area. Which would tell me that there is a leak. But why the leak only when the ICV is pluged in. I any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave.

Member +
take the idle control valve apart and make sure its clean, might be a bit sticky, i've heard of this happening in the past

Dave

Jay

Admin
This happened after fitting the 4EFTE to the trackcar.

Recheck all vacuum piping is correct and secure.
The aircon valves on the bulkhead had a small effect too.
Check throttle position sensor reading.

Seemed to cure my issues.

blackbullet

Member +
@ damage - A/F between 4.6 to 4.9 at idle

@ thefalls - 900rpm with idle screw all the way in.

@ dave-gtturbo - tried another ICV and no difference.

@ Jay - Will check tps and vacuum lines tomorrow. Actually, tps got a bit banged up trying to put in the engine.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how it goes.

C

CaL

what about your plugs and leads??some peopel say their dle was lower with differ leads and plugs

Damage

Member +
I think you meant 14.6 not 4.6 cause that would be MASSIVELY rich :p Yeah check sensors on the intake manifold aswell give them a good clean or did you use your old INtake manifold

Mike D EP82

Member +
check for vacuum leaks, they can be hard to find and very small but it makes all the difference. maybe its drawing air from the inlet manifold gasket between the mani and the head? or even throttle body gaskets

thefalls

Member +
will have a look at the idle screw n then let u know...as far as i know..never had a problem with the "idling"...
let us know when u solve the problem....
thanks.

blackbullet

Member +
I think you meant 14.6 not 4.6 cause that would be MASSIVELY rich :p Yeah check sensors on the intake manifold aswell give them a good clean or did you use your old INtake manifold

Oops yes damage 14.6 and not 4.6.

Well today I did three things so I don't really know which one solved the problem. Firstly, I took off the throttle body and adjusted the TPS a bit. My throttle body gasket got broken when I removed it but I reused it anyway. I also reduced the gapping on the spark plugs. The tips of the plugs look whitish is that good or bad.

After putting everything back together, the car idles at about 600 RPM when warmed up so I had to adjust the idle screw to bring it up to about 800. However, at idle A/F is now between 15.6 and 17.0 and it is not very stable at times. Should I just make and adjustment on the Emanage to correct this.

niv18

Fresh Recruit
For me also it idles at aroun 1100rpm, but I have an emanage, does this change something? at Idle when i turn the steering wheel or put the aircon or when the fmic starts the revs goes up to around 1200rpm. Is it normal?

blackbullet

Member +
For me also it idles at aroun 1100rpm, but I have an emanage, does this change something? at Idle when i turn the steering wheel or put the aircon or when the fmic starts the revs goes up to around 1200rpm. Is it normal?

The A/C increasing and power steering increasing revs is normal. A/C revs at idle can be adjusted from the engine bay. I don't understand what you mean when you say the FMIC STARTS.

In your case it may just be your idle screw which needs adjusting if your fuel, timing and airflow maps are at 0 on the emanage.