engine oil question

will be changin oil this week but i dnt no whts in there, am gona put synthetic oil in, do i need to get sum oil flush b4 i put the new stuff in??????

Dave.

Member +
Not required but it woulnd't do any harm, I'd flush using a cheapo halfords oil though maybe, rather than some sort of chemical flush :)

Stick with a 10w40 or 5w40 and you'll be fine

Dave

dac69er

Super Moderator
Not required but it woulnd't do any harm, I'd flush using a cheapo halfords oil though maybe, rather than some sort of chemical flush :)

Stick with a 10w40 or 5w40 and you'll be fine

Dave

i did the same on mine. i got some tesco cheapo oil, ran it for about a thousand miles or so then put in some 10w-40 semi

Drain the old oil out, pop a new filter on and top it up with a good 10w 40 semi and your away

rememebering to check as you fill and not to over fill.

Dave.

Member +
2.5L or 3.5L is the engine oil capacity (without/with oil filter, and probably just under - I've seen a few figures quoted from 3.2L to 3.5L). Not sure on exact sump capacity, but not far off that :p

Like I said though, roughly :) Check as you go and make sure you don't overfill it! Give it a min inbetween pouring and checking to let it settle too.

Dave

ktl

Member +
you need about 3 litres of oil. 10w 40 but dont go with cheap oil e.g im using castrl gtx but i find my engine ticks louder so im going back to performance oil lol

MarcoFTE

Member +
3L goes into the sump from the Starlet. I've used Forté engine flush, the best product there is imo for flushing your engine. Helped me quite a bit. After that I started using 5w30 full synthetic oil from the Toyota dealer. Checked my oil saturday and after 2500+ km there is nothing missing, at least not noticable on the dipstick.

MarcoFTE

Member +
3.2 officially. Put 3L in it and you will notice it will end up around the F mark.
Don't put to much in it, that can cause damage just like to little oil in the sump.