engine problems..

zxmcwolf

Fresh Recruit
hello,i just bought a starlet ep80(i think)which was converted to a gt(4e-fte). The guy that owned the car before lived on an island and couldn't take the car to decent mechanic who new how to work on those cars,so it had the following problems when i bought it:

1) idle was permanently @ 2000rmp and when i drove around for a bit and pushed the clutch pedal to set to neutral and the brake pedal to stop, it suddenly started to rev from 1200rpm to 2000rpm-2100rpm very fast

2)when the car was cold and i went to start it, i needed to give it a couple tries to start and run smooth.

3)when the car was hot and i turned it off and then tried to start it again, it would run like it was a subaru, i needed to switch it of and on, rev to 4-5k and let it set back to 2k rpm to see if it would run normal or like a subaru again. Most times it would run normal with the 2-3rd try but on some occasions it needed 6-7 tries to make it run normal and some times it also stopped working.

My mechanic fixed the 1st and 2nd problem,but the 3rd still remains,i went to a car electrician and he changed a coolant valve but it didn't do much except now it doesn't stop running when it sounds like a subaru.

i tried to explain my problem as good as possible,my english isnt that good and i'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Has anyone had the same or some problem like mine and if someone could give me some suggestions what to look for or what to fix i would appreciate it. :)

thank you for your time.

Jay

Admin
Subaru impersonations usually relate to the 4EFTE going off a cylinder. If this is happening intermittently you could have an issue in the ignition system (check plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap & associated components). Failing that you could always run a compression test to make sure there isn't anything more sinister at work.

Hope that helps,

Jay