engine rebuild, wire tuck and painting the engine bay (lot of pics)

rage

Lifer
Sadly my engine died of oil starvation last december (prolonged racing without a baffled sump, big end bearrings went and i had a terrible rattle noise in the engine.

so i took out the engine and started looking around for parts.
bought another starlet (1.3 NA) as a runaround so i could take my time rebuilding my engine and the rest of the plans i had for her.

plans:

rebuilding engine (duh!)
redoing the engine loom and try a bit of a wire tuck with the rest of the wires under the hood
moving the battery to the boot
fitting a rollcage
relocating the fuse box from under the hood to my dash cabinet
relocating wiper wash bottle and coolant bottle
doing up the dash wire loom (lots of hack n slash work had been done to it the past years)
repainting the engine bay and painting various parts.

color theme will be white and blue
still not sure how to paint the engine itself. white valve cover? blue block?

but now, a few pics

my mix n match runaround car :) was cheap, still runs fine so good enough to take me to the station for a while
img1950qy.jpg

took apart the 4efte engine and found this bearing on the 4th cylinder
img2018v.jpg

quite f00ked if you ask me :(

total damage: turbo has shaft play, slichtly bent rod, bearings rubbish, crank has worn (too much to regrind)

bought a bottom end with flawless crank, pistons and block. will be the base of my rebuild later

while waiting for parts i started to work on the engine loom
stripped the loom down to see what i can lengthen, shorten, rewire etc.

img2062yl.jpg

first part of the loom completed (injectors)
img2064n.jpg

test fitting:
img2066v.jpg

img2065zv.jpg

rest of the loom... hmmm... long way to go
img2067vs.jpg

stripped an old loom from a starlet to use the wires o lengthen/shorten the wires on my loom
img2068z.jpg

bit by bit...
img2072gh.jpg

first bit of the loom completed.
fitting large connectors at the back of the block to make taking out the engine easier in the future. simple click and the loom is disconnected

img2079hl.jpg

img2081k.jpg

img2083f.jpg

img2080ut.jpg

img2084xp.jpg

img2082zi.jpg

more and more wires
img2110zz.jpg

as i'm relocating the battery to the boot i won;t need the large metal stand under the hood that holds the battery. so i cut it out :)

img2119k.jpg

also made a route through the chassis where the loom for the headlights and blinkers will go through. and lenghtened the loom accordingly

car stripped out and happely waiting for all that will happen to her
img2108ye.jpg

what a horrible job! sanding down the engine bay! took me quite some time. masked her all up
img2123.jpg

img2124b.jpg

img2122e.jpg

layer of grey primer done.
img2126fy.jpg

img2125b.jpg

img2127r.jpg

2 layers of white

img2128.jpg

img2129y.jpg

img2130s.jpg

img2131.jpg

started repainting small parts and refitting them bit by bit.
most parts will be cusco blue and white under the hood

img2143fd.jpg

img2144l.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done a lot of little jobs and 1 larger job the past few days
Had bought a spare bottom end to replace my knackered one.
stripped it down and checken all the parts. looking rather well!

img2146w.jpg

going to replace the bearings and piston rings just to be sure

cleaned the bottom end

img2149vd.jpg

img2147by.jpg

removed the last bits of the old headgasket and sump gasket

img2150s.jpg

img2148z.jpg

primer time!

img2151fi.jpg

first layer of cusco blue

img2154w.jpg

img2153ey.jpg

lots and lots more to go :)

Been cleaning the head and mocking up the block to see if the color scheme works or not

few parts fitted together:

img2157w.jpg

img2155m.jpg

img2159r.jpg

current state of the car
and the mess i've made in my workshop :)
img2161n.jpg

img2160yx.jpg

currently thinking about the colors of bits around the engine bay
not entirely sure what to do with the cam belt covers, keep them stock black? blue? white? or repaint them black?

the tube on the back of the intake, I'm only using 2 connections, from the throttle body to the sensor on the other end of the intake. does it need the tube? or can i replace it with a bit of silicon hosing?

also unsure what to do with the gearbox, just clean it and leave it grey? white wont be a good idea i think and blue like the engine.. hmmm not sure
what do you guys think?

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i think you have a lot of patience ha ha , the blue will look well just dont go overboard ,always wanted a wire tuck but its just to much work lol

thefalls

Member +
This reminds me of the type of work i did to my glanza.
You need a serious amount of patience and time to do this.
Surprisingly i started with a broken engine,haha,just like you.
Keep it up dude,thats the proper way to do it.

rage

Lifer
found the engine failure a perfect excuus to give the car the royal treatment :)
had been thinking of this for a while but as it's a lot of work i never got round to it. usually just little things to do on a weekend. but now that i have a runaround heap i can take my time and do it right :)

fishman

Member +
Looks like a plan coming together dude. Also u think the patience was in the write up and ordering the pics right.haha

Jay

Admin
Amazing attention to detail, don't envy you with the wiring, that would melt my head.

Blue white and shiny metal would be the best way to go I reckon although keeping the gearbox clean is very difficult.

Great progress,

Jay

djdiller

Member +
nice job dude, id love the time n patience to do it meself, as for doin the loom ye dont fancy doin mine haha :D
Great Work
Diller

rage

Lifer
nice job dude, id love the time n patience to do it meself, as for doin the loom ye dont fancy doin mine haha :D
Great Work
Diller

halfway throught the loom i was thinking "oh dear god, what did i get myself into!" was a lot of work. and i doubt i would do it again :p

Jaf_ep91

Member +
love the work so far keep the pictures coming, would love to go through a wire tuck fully but i can see its alot of work haha. good job!

djdiller

Member +
halfway throught the loom i was thinking "oh dear god, what did i get myself into!" was a lot of work. and i doubt i would do it again :p

all worthed in the end mate, best feeling in the world when its your own work in the end that comes together :D

tip

Member +
very nyce dude, can you tell me the colour code?? the on with which you painted the engine.

rage

Lifer
motip has a few spray cans advertised as high white gloss, high black gloss, metallic blue,red,purple etc. just some basic colors.
will check if i can find a color code on the can tomorrow

Johnboy GT

Member +
Thats a piece of art.. You've got my mind running now! Im in the same state of affairs as you! Anyway, brilliant effort so far bud! Keep it up!

rage

Lifer
it's slow progress as i'm only working on it in the weekends and still need to order all the rebuild parts/gaskets

going to get a full gasket set, acl bearings, piston rings etc. etc.
cleaning, sanding and painting all the various bits is taking quite a long time but i'm getting there.

will try to update this page as often as possible

bought an alu crank pulley (broke a bit off mine... brittle things!) and a replacement ct9b turbo