Engine Replacement Issue

moony187

Member +
I have recently carried out an engine replacement as my previous decided to say bye bye to piston number 4 due to detonation (yay), I've put everything back into place as I had marked each individual part and bolt/nut that came off and where it was placed.

Whilst adding the final few touches, (engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid) there appeared to be a coolant leak at the back of the engine. Could not figure out where it was coming from at all for about 20 mins until I placed my hand just under the inlet manifold where it bolts onto the head. Drip,drip,drip.......

Could anyone give me any insight as to what could be causing this? I've checked each individual hose that runs to the inlet, even the ones that aren't for coolant and they had no trace of coolant on them whatsoever. Its as if its entering the block and as soon as it gets to the back, its just all dripping out from the join between the inlet manifold and the cylinder head.

Don't have a picture of it at the moment but its just after the throttle body directly below where the 3rd and 4th runners are. Above the starter motor.

Jay

Admin
The usual suspect is the inlet manifold gasket. There's a difference between the early GT's and the later engines so if you fitted a different one during the swap it could be your culprit.

Easily checked - pictures can be found in HERE around post 20. Iain did a good job of showing it in detail.

If it's not that report back,

Jay

moony187

Member +
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't yet checked the gasket, was getting a bit frustrated yesterday and decided to call it a night before I got too stressed out lol. I'll definitely be taking off the inlet today and hopefully it is the gasket and nothing major. Will keep you updated on how it goes.

moony187

Member +
Was the gasket!!! Got the manifold off along with the gasket and compared them to the pictures in the thread you mentioned. Definitely a different gasket. Haven't changed it yet though as all the parts shops around can't get it in until monday -_-....same story with dealers so going to have to be patient and just check everything else over one more time just incase. Thanks for your help

Jay

Admin
Excellent stuff mate, hopefully she'll be back up and boosting in no time!

Any hassle just shout,

Jay