Engine stops when clutch depressed

Vinpetrol

Fresh Recruit
Hi All

My stepson has bought a 97 glanza 5 .
I think I will be responsible for fixing it when he breaks it so I thought membership on the forum will be wise.

He has reported that when he presses the clutch all the way down the engine cuts out.
It will do it ticking over or travelling at revs .
It also brings on the engine management light when it does it . Because of this it has me thinking that it may be electrical.
Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong or what I should check ?

Cheers

Vin

dac69er

Super Moderator
There is some wiring near the clutch slave cylinder. Check nothing is caught or cut through there.

Also do an edu fault code test to determine the reason for the stall as that should point you in the right direction

Vinpetrol

Fresh Recruit
There is some wiring near the clutch slave cylinder. Check nothing is caught or cut through there.

Also do an edu fault code test to determine the reason for the stall as that should point you in the right direction

Hi , thanks for the reply. I did check the wiring at the slave cylinder as it was the only obvious bit I could see but it seemed fine. Would I be right in thinking that there must be a sender of some sort in there?
Can a lead be bought and software downloaded from anywhere for the edu fault code test?

Cheers

Vin

weeJohn

Lifer
Hi All

My stepson has bought a 97 glanza 5 .
I think I will be responsible for fixing it when he breaks it so I thought membership on the forum will be wise.

This made me laugh, because if it wasn't true it wouldn't be so funny. This does sound like an electrical fault, the ecu checks will give you an idea of where to start. Bad connections are not uncommon, especially in earths, and these can be the most confusing to work out.

If they engine management check brings up more than 1 fault, I have a feeling it could be due to the engine sensors losing their earth connection. On the right hand side of the gearbox (looking from the bumper, a view you might get used to lol) there should be a thick black wire that is attached to the body of the car and the bolts for the engine mounts. This provides one of the main earths on the block and losing it can confuse the ecu into thinking sensors are messing about.

I would check the cable is there and tight, I would also check the bolts between the gearbox and block are tight as well as thats the passage some circuits will take from the block. Pressing the clutch could be separating the gearbox and block and causing a break in the circuit, its an easy check as there are only 5 bolts on the top of the box, all reasonably easy to get at with a half inch socket set.

Vinpetrol

Fresh Recruit
Cheers guys for the help,
Interesting thought about the routes for an earthing signal and makes perfect sense when I think about it. No joke about the membership either, he's had it a week and I'm already looking for suspension and brake parts!
You will need to forgive my ignorance regarding these high performance hatches, I'm more used to mk 3 cortinas with a twin Webber . I got a feelin it will be a steep learning curve!

Vin