Ep80

Ellis80

Member +
Hi new here just looking for some help , I have a 92 ep80 and am planning to put a 4efte in it , I don’t have ep82 brakes or suspension parts , are ep91 n/a hubs the same as turbo ones ? And would they work on my ep80 ?

Jay

Admin
When I built my EP80 trackstar (about 15 years ago!) I used Glanza hubs, wishbones and brakes so there shouldn't be an issue. Only thing of note is that you will need to adjust the geometry/tracking afterwards as mine was way out. It's good practice to get it checked anyway.

As Skiny points out the cost of stuff is getting a bit silly so be prepared!

Ellis80

Member +
Thanks lads , yep seen the price of engines gone is crazy surely due to how hard got they are now , I was thinking of buying an n/a ep91 and possibly forging the 4efe to take boost if the parts will fit , I know they don’t have the knock sensor but I’ve seen a few piggy back ecus to go around that and a few other things, I seen that engine jdm distro have skinny posted nearly 3K is scandalous

Ellis80

Member +
I’ve seen a fully dressed 4efte with a rattle in bottom end for 1K if the blocks not damaged I’d nearly get it either way I’d be getting it rebuilt anyway

daniel_g

Member +
I'd be starting with a 4efe engine. You could have it built to a decent spec and still be cheaper than a used 4efte from a breaker.

SKINY

Lifer
1200£ ish for a forge kit from Id-Works, 3-500£ for engine work and building up plus 1K for that fucked engine
Wouldn't be a kick in the hole away from the Distro robbery for a standard lump
Could maybe find a cheap 4efe starlet but doubtful given where we are fslool

daniel_g

Member +
I've been lucky in getting engines for nothing or 100 quid or so. Its more like 400 on ebay for a 4efe nowadays.

If you get the 4efte with the bottom end knock just be aware you might have to then source a good crankshaft for it.

does the 4efe engine have the "mold" at the rear to fit the knock sensor? if so, can it be drilled and tapped to fit the knock sensor?

SKINY

Lifer
2 on the bay of flea, 520£ and 400£ both 4efe, 1 is an autobox so probably has had a nice easy life
*not all autoboxs have easy lives.....*

Ellis80

Member +
I'd be starting with a 4efe engine. You could have it built to a decent spec and still be cheaper than a used 4efte from a breaker.
I've been lucky in getting engines for nothing or 100 quid or so. Its more like 400 on ebay for a 4efe nowadays.

If you get the 4efte with the bottom end knock just be aware you might have to then source a good crankshaft for it.
Thanks for the heads up thinking of the 4efe route now I’m going to need a lot of parts so might be worth buying a donor car

Ellis80

Member +
2 on the bay of flea, 520£ and 400£ both 4efe, 1 is an autobox so probably has had a nice easy life
I’m thinking buying an ep91 as donor car , as I’ll need a baffled fuel tank and front suspension and the looks , my worry tho is that the loom won’t be any use in my 80

Ellis80

Member +
I’m thinking buying an ep91 as donor car , as I’ll need a baffled fuel tank and front suspension and the looks , my worry tho is that the loom won’t be any use in my
When I built my EP80 trackstar (about 15 years ago!) I used Glanza hubs, wishbones and brakes so there shouldn't be an issue. Only thing of note is that you will need to adjust the geometry/tracking afterwards as mine was way out. It's good practice to get it checked anyway.

As Skiny points out the cost of stuff is getting a bit silly so be prepared!
1200£ ish for a forge kit from Id-Works, 3-500£ for engine work and building up plus 1K for that fucked engine
Wouldn't be a kick in the hole away from the Distro robbery for a standard lump
Could maybe find a cheap 4efe starlet but doubtful given where we are fslool
Yeah makes a lot of sense when you put it that way deffo not going to chance rebuilding it haven’t thought that far lol , I could pick up a 4efe for around 1000 for a rough one they are shooting up in price too I have the 1E engine and 4 speed box to sell so that’ll be going straight towards another

Jay

Admin
My advice is to do it in stages.

You would be surprised how enjoyable an EP is when it can stop and corner properly so tick those boxes first then you can sort the horsepower issue.

Buys you a bit of time for shopping round for the bargains too.

SKINY

Lifer
What Jay said lol
If your gathering bits up try and get a set of st182 celica gt-four pre facelift front twinpot calipers, straight fit with corsa sxi discs
Have a set sitting for the GT :)

Ellis80

Member +
My advice is to do it in stages.

You would be surprised how enjoyable an EP is when it can stop and corner properly so tick those boxes first then you can sort the horsepower issue.

Buys you a bit of time for shopping round for the bargains too
Good few cars on Dung deal but some silly prices
Very silly prices!! But this is the joys of it lol ! Thanks for the shout on the callipers going to look into them ! Have either of you ever fit anti roll bars to the front and rear of ep80 ? Not sure if the gt came with ones as standard wondering is there mounts on the na body for them couldn’t see any when I was under it tho

daniel_g

Member +
GTs came with front anti roll bars, I'd guess there should threaded inserts in the body to mount the D bushes. There was on the EP85 when I fitted a front anti roll bar to that.

Rears are all aftermarket.

Jay

Admin
My 2E EP80 had the holes. Was able to fit a turbo ARB on the front.

Obviously check before buying anything lol.