Ep85

dac69er

Super Moderator
centre console parts are different, possibly the handbrake arrangement due to the tunnel and the rear drums. the whole rear axle setup.

everything up the front is the same apart from the rear engine mount.

other than that they are pretty much the same apart from minor differences like there is with the whole GT range.

bucketep91

Member +
i think the rear suspension does fit the 4wd's mate, just doesnt go as low as the fwd's would.
could be wrong tho (i hope not i just baught new coilovers)

Ted

Member +
floorpan is different, so rear suspension all unique, engine stuff all the same except sump/engine mounts. gt seats dont fit without modification. front mounts are tough to fit due to different bumper.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i think the rear suspension does fit the 4wd's mate, just doesnt go as low as the fwd's would.
could be wrong tho (i hope not i just baught new coilovers)

fitment is the same. but the 4wd top mounts are different and the springs are shorter.

if you fit normal coilovers or lowering springs the car will sit about 2-3" higher than the equivalent GT or glanza at the same settings.

i have custom meister r's on mine and at the lowest setting they are just right, some might even want it even more slammed tbh.

dac69er

Super Moderator
floorpan is different, so rear suspension all unique, engine stuff all the same except sump/engine mounts. gt seats dont fit without modification. front mounts are tough to fit due to different bumper.

didnt realise the seats were different??? is it due to the larger centre tunnel???

so all my anti roll bars and lower arm bars will fit on?
How much bhp are you running mate?

fitment is the same. but the 4wd top mounts are different and the springs are shorter.

if you fit normal coilovers or lowering springs the car will sit about 2-3" higher than the equivalent GT or glanza at the same settings.

i have custom meister r's on mine and at the lowest setting they are just right, some might even want it even more slammed tbh.

how much were your collies mate if you dont mind me asking?

i think it was £700 delivered. i think they are essentially normal front coilys and then civic rear ones with the top mounts and bottom brackets changed to starlet ones.

cheers mate.

how good do these put down big power? this is my dilema iam building a mental spec ep82 and it will be getting to the stage where it wont be drivable in front wheel drive.

dac69er

Super Moderator
well mines still stock atm apart from the coilovers so its only has a 4efe in it. i can pretty much launch it in the wet and it will just grip and go. i cant comment on what its going to be like with some big power but i imagine it will be alot of fun and will be able to put it down alot better than a fwd starlet.

iam going to be running over 400bhp:p on a 5e, i know it will spin the wheels abit but how much on a hard launch. is a 2way dif recommended for these?

dac69er

Super Moderator
its a pretty agricultural 4wd setup. its not exactly an evo or skyline setup.
its the same as they have on a landrover freelander :(

one of the hi power 4wd guys should be able to answer it a bit better though, i dont know how it copes with more power tbh

its a pretty agricultural 4wd setup. its not exactly an evo or skyline setup.
its the same as they have on a landrover freelander :(

one of the hi power 4wd guys should be able to answer it a bit better though, i dont know how it copes with more power tbh

cheers mate

azerty

Supermoderator
what would worry me on a AWD is not straight line.
cornering, is supposed to be better, but if one wheel is of the ground, would all power goes to that wheel ? and then you'll be stuck there ? or is there any sort of LSD ? same thing during a powerslide 90° bend. if there is no lsd, one wheel has chance to take all power and then your stuck... unless there is a sort of LSD. as it is a snow mountain gearboxtype, it might have that. this is the main question I alsways asked myself about those ep85/95

dac69er

Super Moderator
as far as im aware there is no lsd. only thing that provides any toque control to the rear wheels is the viscous coupling between the front and rear diffs. i dont think there is anything to control the torque split between the left and right hand side, just a normal open type diff

Ted

Member +
launching with big power requires at least soft compound 888s all round- if you do it will do a 1.9 60ft time , comparable to a scooby but no match for a well setup evo.

doesnt matter if you have 400hp, that will be a laggy turbo so you wont be launching with much boost anyway(unless you have proper launch control with a standalone ecu)

for having open diffs the car does grip extremely well and handles the power but understeer is still a problem like any other starlet. suspension setup hard at the back can minimise this, and sticky tyres.

one member has mentioned there could be a rear lsd made to fit for the car but it hasnt been tested yet to my knowledge. the standard 4wd front diff is a wierd looking article so probably no front lsd will ever be possible.

the gearbox is all gt spec(as i now have put a gt first gear in mine to keep turbo spooling in second) so handles the power.