EP91 gearbox in Ep82 - possible?

sdutton007

Member +
Hi,

I'm uprating my clutch because it's on the way out, and was thinking that while i've got the gearbox out, I might as well slap a 6-speed glanza gearbox in it instead.

1) is it a straight swap? if not, what would be required?
2) what needs doing the the gearstick to make it go further left for reverse?

and a bit seperately, do you have to take the engine out to install a new clutch or can you do it from underneath?

Cheers

sx_turbo

Lifer
straight swap you will suffer no problems at all the only difference is the 3rd and 4th ratios are slightly different, but nothing majour to worry about.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Your thinking of the G6 gearbox, The Ep91 one is 5 speed aswell the only differance is the gear ratio in 3rd and 4th

sdutton007

Member +
straight swap you will suffer no problems at all the only difference is the 3rd and 4th ratios are slightly different, but nothing majour to worry about.

cheers

do you know if I will go faster or slower in 3rd and 4th with the glanza gearbox? Will 5th be about the same, and then 6th can be a nice motorway gear under 3000rpm??

And i've read somewhere that some starlets have LSDs in the gearbox - should I go for one with an LSD? what are the pros (except for limiting the wheelspin) and cons?

cheers again

TurboDave

Member +
I suspect it would be pretty difficult to put a 6 speed glanza box in because they are 5 speed.

The G6 gearbox would not be straightforward or cheap.

Dave

goldenvtr

Member +
for the 6speed box conversion you need to swap the bell housing over on te g6 box for the on starlets box, and the selector cables from the g6 too. piss easy swap