Excessive vapour/water coming from the exhaust?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
My car is chucking out a lot of water from the exhaust when sat idling.

I got home today after a 15min drive home fro work and left the car sat for about an hour, I then went back out started it up and there was a lot of vapour/water spitting out of the exhaust. Enough to leave a large patch on the ground and to cover my hand, it has no smell to it and the coolant level is no lower.

Could this be from overfuelling ie fuel being spat straight out? the fuel pressure was set fairly high and I have just lowered it, I also noticed a wet patch behind the car similar to the one it left today when I had the car at a friends, and also when the car was getting mot'd water was literaly dripping from the join in the exhaust between the back box and mid pipe during the emissions test.

It's been dry most of the day here and the car had been run before it started spitting today.

Any suggestions? Is this something to be worried about?

well basically........seeing that its not coolant (as u said your levels are the same)......then it can only be condensation, as there are no other water liquids in the engine at all......and then u say no smell also

maybe your exhaust system has a leak somehwere......and what kind of temperature is it in your climate?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Well it just seemed like a lot of moisture for it to be condensation, it has been wet today but quite warm maybe 20C at most. I also thought any condensation would have been dried up when I drove home as it was dry then.

I'm guessing petrol would still smell like petrol if it was spat ut like that too?!

Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing.

Last edited:
yeah...petrol and/or oil will have a smell for sure

coolant will leave your hand green/red depensing on which one u use

condensation will leave water vapor droplets on your hand and the ground as it drips

your temp is pretty cool...so i would expect u to get a lot of condesation once u sit stationary........here its hots most of the time 30 degs).....and i get a fair bit of condensation still

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Ok thanks, thats reassuring. It was a lot of vapour that came out, it turned my hand black because it was picking up the soot off the exhaust.

The car runs fine though, but I'm so used to things going wrong with it that any thing gets me worried now!

Cheers mate.

Spoonz

Member +
My car is chucking out a lot of water from the exhaust when sat idling.

I got home today after a 15min drive home fro work and left the car sat for about an hour, I then went back out started it up and there was a lot of vapour/water spitting out of the exhaust. Enough to leave a large patch on the ground and to cover my hand, it has no smell to it and the coolant level is no lower.

Could this be from overfuelling ie fuel being spat straight out? the fuel pressure was set fairly high and I have just lowered it, I also noticed a wet patch behind the car similar to the one it left today when I had the car at a friends, and also when the car was getting mot'd water was literaly dripping from the join in the exhaust between the back box and mid pipe during the emissions test.

It's been dry most of the day here and the car had been run before it started spitting today.

Any suggestions? Is this something to be worried about?

My car dose the same,
This gives me a bit of piece of mind

Timmy

Member +
basicaly combustion turn your petrol into co2 and water, at tick over the gasses move slower and the water in the gas cools down making it more visable to the eye and giving you condensation. At higher engine revs the it doesn't get much of a chance to cool down plus temps are higher.
All turbo cars give alot of condensation out the back.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
basicaly combustion turn your petrol into co2 and water, at tick over the gasses move slower and the water in the gas cools down making it more visable to the eye and giving you condensation. At higher engine revs the it doesn't get much of a chance to cool down plus temps are higher.
All turbo cars give alot of condensation out the back.

Cheers! My minds now at ease.:)

Deano

Banned
Your like me mate I worry about condensation scares the shit outta me sometimes I hate condensation yesterday I parked the car in the driveway for 2 hours and I went to move the car to vacuum it out and it sat for another 1 and a half hours went to move it back to the original spot and let it run for 3 minutes and condensation came out the back had me worried today it was gone air temperatures really affect turbo cars or any cars for that matter bloody New Zealand I wish it would warm up over here

Mike D EP82

Member +
dont worry mine is the same, black sort of water coming form a little drain hole from my jap exit box its water with black mix??

Adam_Glanza

Member +
sounds like the headgasket is going / gone

after a long drive water shouldnt be literally dripping out of the exhaust, unless you do very short journeys everyday.

there should be a bit of condensation, but not that extreme.

monka

Member +
if the headgasket is gone his coolant level would be dropping. which he has said it isnt.

and 15miles aint really a long drive. and when its cold anyway parking for any amount of time is long enough

Adam_Glanza

Member +
15 miles is easily long enough imo to get rid of condensation.

its just a possibility neway, i would just keep an eye on it.

if its as bad as your saying then i cant see it just being condensation?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
This was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago!:homer:

I've had my car mapped and rolling roaded since then, I'm also just home from a healthy 300 mile round trip. It ain't blown up yet!