Factory LSD no all cracked up to be???

rosso321

Member +
Well folks heard that the factory LSD gearbox is not great. That the make the car is slower as the long shaft is real heavy that seems laggy if you like just seems slow as I was told last night. What's people's input on there factory LSD as I'm sure not true and there amazing piece of equipment ?

Jay

Admin
BS. Bring me a Toyota LSD equipped GT and I'll show you the difference.

Matty is quite correct - the LSD box shafts are a lot more balanced than the stock box shafts. Stock on top, LSD shafts on the bottom:

random051.jpg

Jay

rosso321

Member +
Ah that's great to hear. So that clears that up I knew you couldn't fault theses lsd gearbox's thanks jay saved the day :D

AdDaMan

Member +
The only reason they can be a bit crap is some are now 20 years old and the diffs have started to open up so the lock isnt that great.

Kyle_R

Member +
I just bought a Glanza with the factory LSD box to put in my GT. I love my GT the Glanza was just a hack with some nice oem extras. But needed work

5e colin

Member +
i thought the ratios were the same?

deffo not dacer : i used to do 120kph in 2cnd and 165 in 3rd gear in my mk1 gt box ( no lsd )
the lsd box i have now does i think 105 in 2cnd and 140 to 145 kph in 3rd
gears might be same in box but final drive must be diffrent

( my figures might be out by 5 kph ) but no more than that

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Have you ever drove a GT with a stock LSD in comparrison to one without? The difference is huge.

My GT ran 280hp on a stock LSD for many years and still does at the moment, it used to pickup grip in 3rd. In comparrison to a customer's GT without an LSD running approx 170hp it used to spin in 3rd so they do make a difference.

However the most desirable boxes to have are the non-LSD type so you can pop an aftermarket LSD in it :)

weeJohn

Lifer
On a standard engine they may well be an improvement, but as Iain says, on bigger horsepower they are not as good as an aftermarket diff.