Fault code 42- Vehicle speed sensor

Jdace

Yesterday my speedo and odo stopped working, and now i noticed today (...) that my MIL lights on, so according to this thread http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?71074-EFI-self-diagnosis-system-*its fault 42. I haven't pulled the cable out yet, I did that when I replaced the clutch and the dial flickered reading the speed, redid it and it was sweet so I don't really wanna fiddle with that again lol, but np if i have to. The day before yesterday I replaced the ignition leads (coil lead broke), and I did spray intake cleaner in my engine which involved taking out a vacuum line from the intake manifold. I also noticed today that i didnt bolt the intercooler back in..Im not sure if they have anything to do with it, but thats the work I've recently done.

Just a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated. I have no idea where such sensor is, only the cable. Cheers

Jay

Admin
Hey mate, when the ECU doesn't get a reading from the speedo it logs this fault. If you can get the speedo working again (probably cable related by the sounds of it) then it just needs the fault memory cleared to get rid of the 42 code. I think the ECU uses the speed signal as reference for timing/fuelling map. Never known the code to cause any serious running issues though so if you need to use the car just take it easy.

Hope that helps,

Jay