FCD adversely affecting gearbox

TomS

Lifer
I recently had my fcd and fpr set up for 1 bar. Ever since my pesky automatic gearbox has been acting up. It's slow to change into fourth gear when it finaly decides to change into fourth the revs rise by about 1k while it shifts. this only happens at half throttle, flat out it changes as normal. I wanted to know if anyone on here has fitted a fcd to an auto and had the same problems or is it the exra boost slowly killing the box. With the fcd switched off gears change as normal.

Thanks,

Tom.

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
It's on the way out buddy. Start looking for a fresh box.

Good news is that it'll keep rolling forward if you treat it gently. An ATF change could delay the inevitable. Reverse will start to take longer to engage and eventually will stop working before the forward gears die.

Texx

Super Moderator
As Jay has said, it sounds like the box is on it's last legs.

I'm pretty sure the transmission control only takes inputs from the throttle position sensor and engine coolant temperature sensor, so I don't see the FCD could cause any interference.

TomS

Lifer
Thanks lads. I thought the box was on it's way out alright. These autoboxes arent as strong as i expected. 103k kms is all mine was good for, 2k of that at 1bar.
How much are spare boxes making Jay, and are they hard to fit?

Jay

Admin
A fresh autobox will cost very little, just watch for someone doing a manual conversion and offer them a hand with it or beer money and they'll let you take it.

If it's any consolation I don't think it's the power that kills it, jack her up and check underneath for leaks and weeps, especially around the 10mm bolts on the sump of the autobox. That's what killed mine. She got 2 and 1/2 years of solid abuse before quitting.

TomS

Lifer
Cheers Jay, I'd add to your reputation but it says i have to ''spread some around first''. I checked those bolts a few months ago and the were all tight. I did notice some oil on top of the box which may have seeped out of it. Chris mentioned that a mate of his has a spare box after doing a conversion so i might have to make another trip to county Down.

Texx

Super Moderator
I take it you've checked the fluid level is ok and the fluid condition is good?

Jay

Admin
Aye, the boxes go for very little if anything at all. (Thankfully)

It'll take two or three of you to lift one though so be prepared.

TomS

Lifer
I take it you've checked the fluid level is ok and the fluid condition is good?

The fluid level is good but i'm unsure about its condition, i haven't changed it yet in 30k kms of ownership. How often does the atf need to be changed? Is it as simple as drain out the old and pour in the new or would i have to take it somewhere to be done?

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
The fluid level is good but i'm unsure about its condition, i haven't changed it yet in 30k kms of ownership. How often does the atf need to be changed? Is it as simple as drain out the old and pour in the new or would i have to take it somewhere to be done?

It should be cherry red and smell sweet (but don't drink it..) if it's dark brown and smells of burning then the condition is bad.

As I mentioned, a fresh fill of fluid might prolong life but by the time you notice something is wrong with the autobox the damage is already done. I'll be dissecting my old one at some stage to find out what all is damaged.