Fitting D2 coilovers video guide

GTti

Member +
Who is that?

1) I don't really like the complete guestimation he's applied there especially to the rears

2) Also he was intenting on adjusting the ride hight via the spring platform which isn't really the correct way.

3) Just because the coilover is shorter than stock DOES NOT mean the car will sit lower, especially for rears where stock springs have alot of travel.

4) BEFORE installing any of that you need to measure the cars stock height, preferably from sill to ground and arch to ground through the centre of the hub from front to rear

5) Number 4 needs to be done after installation too!

6) For road car you really should secure the brake pipe hoses to the lower strut.

7) He didn't check any of the camber settings or tightness of the camber plate bolts prior to fitting.

8) If you need that video to install coilovers.. well :p

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
Most important thing:

9) Should be taken to a proper motorsport shop who can set up the suspension geometry even after you've done what you think may be perfect!

Pumba_GT

Member +
Er... I don't suppose you guys setting up your coilovers in varies height? I found out that my GT that came with the Tein HR has the driver side 15mm higher than the passenger side front and rear. I think that's to conpersate the driver weight while only you are driving the car. Am I right at this statement?

GTti

Member +
Yes, that's similar to what a proper suspension geometry setup will do for you. Obviously it will be depending on your setup, but they'll measure each corner of the car and adjust accordingly.

thomllee1981

Member +
those you tubes clips were taken at motorworx in marlow and that is my GT that is being worked on!

and the cambers and aligment have been done on my car just because they arent shown on the video dont know how you can justify those comments without speaking to the guy! he is even a member on here!

heres a link to his welcome page
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=4387

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
those you tubes clips were taken at motorworx in marlow and that is my GT that is being worked on!

and the cambers and aligment have been done on my car just because they arent shown on the video dont know how you can justify those comments without speaking to the guy! he is even a member on here!

Then it's not a video of how to install coilovers properly is it!

If people were going to use that as a guide, they'd miss most of the more important factors. So it's pretty easy to justify the comments I've made...

It's not about copying what others have done with no real understanding of why or what they might be missing. If something isn't set properly or installed properly with drivetrain components they it could be detrimental to handling and therefor dangerous to yourself and others on the road.

It's got nothing to do with who's car is being worked on, I'm sure it was done properly but it's not shown here.

thomllee1981

Member +
fair enough comment then no it should not be used as a guide and i wouldnt recommend it is either!

it is just a basic on how to fit them but it sure doesnt tell you how to set them up!

king_stu

Member +
People people. DAM. I just found the clips on youtube and posted them for people to view. Its something to watch and learn a little from.

GROUP HUG.......

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
im thinkin about get some Fitting D2 coilovers
but isnt there a guide on how to set these up when you buy these ?
?,

thanks dan :gt-smilie:

Dave.

Member +
you can't ever get it right (unless its a fluke) if you're setting them up yourself. You'd need to take it somewhere decent to have them all done correctly :)

Dave