Fluttering

rickie

Member +
Just wanna know what are the pros and cons of blocking off the dump valve to get the fluttering sound? Cheers.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Pros: IMO none as i hate the sound myself just my opinion if you want the proper sound there is no replacement for the external wastegate :)

Cons: Causes the turbo to stall causeing damage in the long term. Not adviseable to do to be honest but if it floats our boat then go ahead.

Just my opinion.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
pretty much as starlet bristol stated, there arent any "pros", its just the air passing back threw the turbo getting chopped up thus creating the fluttery affect, most people say it can damage your turbo but there isnt any real proof to say it does.

its really down to user preference!

Dane_Bristol

Member +
I hope i am right in thinking that the Standard CT9 does not come with a 360 degree thrust bearing and therefore as this is not the case the standard bearing of the CT9 over time wears out as it has not got the 360 degree thrust bearing.

rickie

Member +
I hope i am right in thinking that the Standard CT9 does not come with a 360 degree thrust bearing and therefore as this is not the case the standard bearing of the CT9 over time wears out as it has not got the 360 degree thrust bearing.

In other words air surging back through is goin to wear out the turbo?

dantheman

Member +
its called compressor surge (not wastegate chatter as some call it) wont damage the turbo, unless your running big boost ie 30psi plus.

dantheman

Member +
the sound is the excess boost pressure exiting through the compressor wheel (which is why you hear it coming from the airfilter) as it has nowhere else to go.

Spoonz

Member +
Search on the old forum and theres a link somewhere with a 26 page argument where the conclusion is it will not damage your turbo has the air displacemnt is enough if it would damage your turbo it will brake your throttle plate 1st (something along those lines) do a search and try to find it its a good read theres dyno results and all sorts with BOV and no BOV

Nwimie

Member +

that pretty much hits the nail on the head.
tbh tho i dont think the ct9 has high enough boost pressures to destroy its self but it will cause extra wear without a doubt.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
this arguement is just gonna start all over again bla bla.. you cant say it definetly wont damage the turbo because u dont know that.. but then you dont definetly know it will either.. best way is to state the facts and let him decide

Spoonz

Member +
In other words air surging back through is goin to wear out the turbo?

this arguement is just gonna start all over again bla bla.. you cant say it definetly wont damage the turbo because u dont know that.. but then you dont definetly know it will either.. best way is to state the facts and let him decide

True, Thats why i told him to search and read the article i did

Nwimie

Member +
its proven that running no dv without a 360 bearing turbo will take life off of it end of.

altho imo it will be perfectly fine on a ct9

Dane_Bristol

Member +
IMO the CT9 is a SHite turbo, i went through 3 of them in 1 year. Whats the point really of running without a BOV it sounds POO on a CT9 on a bigger turbo yes i may agree.

Nwimie

Member +
agree with dane im afraid sounds bloody awesome on big turbos but pretty poop on little turbos. i would get a nice sounding dv

rickie

Member +
Already have a bailey, was only wanting to know if I would damage the turbo if I wanted to change every now and then. Think this thread should end as I now know thanks to everyones replies.

dantheman

Member +
i do know that as i used to work at a turbo builders, ran a stock rebuilt t28 on 20psi without a bov for 40k miles and internals were still mint when i stripped it to hybrid it.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
t28 is a different turbo than the ct9 tho.. i think when we talkin about flutter it varies from which turbo etc.. there isnt a right or wrong answer i think it just depends if it has the right thrust bearings etc!.

im sure most turbos will be ok but you never no