Fly-by-wire Throttle

goldenvtr

Member +
mechanical is so much better - this is the reason i wont buy a new car for a daily driver - obd2 /canbus onwards cars are cool but not for real drivers imo

dark_knight

Member +
Well, unless you are running management that can use the throttle position for specific parameter calibrations, our stock ECU just 'sees' three states;
- closed, partial & wide open throttle.
The reason I'm asking is because I've kinda run out of mods to try out and so I'm thinking outside the box on this one. If I could, I'd probably get the motor throttle assembly together with the electronic pedal then wire it up just to see if it would work. The setup would only send the ECU the two signals it needs to operate and that's closed and WOT signals. Maybe then aftermarket management units like the EMU can be used to fine-tune acceleration maps and what not.. :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
just stick a variable throttle position sensor on. job done. a hell of a lot more simple than a pointless fly by wire system that would give you no advantages whatsoever and would just complicate things for the sake of complicating it.

Jay

Admin
After years of seeing how reliable new cars are I'd stick to the low-tech option mate. It would be like fitting your racing goat with cruise control - not worth the hassle :haha:

Skalabala

Member +
I think he is trying to hide that he wants do use the fly by wire throttle for controlling his twin charged ideas :p

ChrisD

Member +
There is a system called "TAC module" used on some GM cars, that controls the DBW throttle by itself, without the need for the ECU to do something...

If for some reason someone wanted to use DBW, he could probably try this... pedal, module and throttle body. Otherwise you will need a high-end standalone ecu, e-pedal and any throttle that would be able to fit...

dark_knight

Member +
I was coming more from the train of thought that I could get a pedal and throttle body (that fits obviously) and just build a little circuit to allow the two to talk. No fancy ECUs controlling the whole thing. Pedal is fed 5 or 9v, pedal position determines how much of that voltage is varied. This then gets sent off to the throttle, where the signal is amp'd to run a 12v variable position motor. Simple ideas always win. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here.. :)

ChrisD

Member +
You would need a stepper motor drive controller... i suppose these are stepper motors...

Not a bad concept... bat if not to use something like tranction control or cruise control, then there's not much point to do it...

Maybe an arduino solution...

dark_knight

Member +
Arduino!!!!! Now you're talking ChrisD :D
All the same, let me continue picking people's brains.. a brilliant idea may come up..