For people with oil coming out of rocker cover breather

whiteglanzav

Member +
Guys,

if you have the problem of oil coming out of your rocker breathers or some coming out of the exhaust - please check that you breathing system is adequate.

by this i mean that the pipes if you using a catch tank are wide enough - should be around 8 -10 mm int diameter

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CHECK YOUR BREATHER FILTER IS CLEAN

i'd had problems with bits of oil coming out of my catch tank breather and some out of the exhaust and up the back of the car.

now recently i have changed the breather and the promblem has stopped 99.5% - i now have no oil coming out of the catch tank breather wot soever and only 1 or 2 specs from the exhst but they may have been from b 4 as its not been washed

the cause of this is that wen the breather is blocked obv it causes excess pressure to build up etc forcing oil to go places it wouldnt usually go and this can then force its way past the blockage in the breather shooting oil out where you breather is (on top of roocker or around the top of the catch tank and surronding area)

mine is set up like this:

IMG_0821.jpg

hopefully that should solve the problem if not then you may have more serious underlying issues

Ed

GTEP82

Member +
Where is the breather filter? New to Starlet engines, so not sure.

if your car is standard it will return to the efi pipe its the pipe in between your spark plugs 3/4, if you've got mods mite be a little airfilter over it (thats wot i use) or a pipe leading to a catch can which will be near your battery n usually shinny, ope that helps :)

weakboy2

Member +
shouldnt ever really have masses of crankcase pressure really mate, unless there is loads of blow by due to worn bores/poorly sealed rings or even worse.

Always will get a bit of blow by on a big power engine, shouldnt be excessive tho tbh.

whiteglanzav

Member +
shouldnt ever really have masses of crankcase pressure really mate, unless there is loads of blow by due to worn bores/poorly sealed rings or even worse.

Always will get a bit of blow by on a big power engine, shouldnt be excessive tho tbh.

yer but if the breather is blocked(effectivly rendering the crankcase with no breather) then no matter how little pressure there is - then it will build up

x2 boost blowing past the rings
the breather dosent chock very often tho infact iv never seen one choke on a starlet yet

whiteglanzav

Member +
oil out of the breather is fucked rings crank presure

you aither havent read the first post fully or arent understanding.

IF THE BREATHER IS BLOCKED - THER IS NO PCV VALVE AND BOTH ROCKER COVER BREATHERS GO TO THE ONE BREATHER (THAT IS BLOCKED) THEN PRESSURE WILL BUILD UP NO MATTER HOW MINISCULE THE SOURCE IS

+ it worked wen i did it and a mate had a similar problem on his N/A b18c

Phil

Super Moderator
but if the oil is coming out of the breather then surely its not actually "blocked" in the first instance?

have you really checked the catch can? you sure the oil isnt running up your new hoses and then running back down as the pressure subsides? thus leaving no proof in the catch can?

piston rings is what this sounds like, piston rings masked by new longer hose fittings lol

hopefully not though.

Phil

weakboy2

Member +
why on earth arent you running a pcv valve? pretty sure if you run both breathers to a catch tank, the pcv valve should be fitted to the rocker still ideally?

as for not reading, we did but i'm pretty sure we both know what we are talking about ;)

most people dont have a blocked catch tank piped up that way.

:homer: :kiss:

Blak_Mamber

Member +
why on earth arent you running a pcv valve? pretty sure if you run both breathers to a catch tank, the pcv valve should be fitted to the rocker still ideally?

I have mine set up without a pcv valve. Same as Dave B sells:

http://www.tm-developments.com/inde...ducts_id=391&zenid=levfgem0pg68s387lq4tsr7g04

Taken from Daves wording:

As you increase boost you also increase blow by gases and the standard system struggles to cope. Add to this the fact the the PCV valve shuts under boost and you have only one breather working.

350ep70gr

Member +
Whiteglanzav is right guys! Crankcase pressure isnt only from blowby (which all engine has due to their design and construction) but is all the air mass pushed from pistons and crank rotation. Blocked breathers will cause smoking issues even if the engine is brand new no matter what.

Chris

whiteglanzav

Member +
Whiteglanzav is right guys! Crankcase pressure isnt only from blowby (which all engine has due to their design and construction) but is all the air mass pushed from pistons and crank rotation. Blocked breathers will cause smoking issues even if the engine is brand new no matter what.

Chris

Thanks Chris

:kiss:

350ep70gr

Member +
What i did in the past was something like what Lewis said.
I made a catch tank with three pipes. Both from the rocker cover to the catch tank and the third from the catch tank to the intake beffore turbo.
This route actually delivers the most vaccum to the crank case. (wich is beneficial) Other setups in drag cars use even vaccum pumps.
Also it is an other system can be used ..looks like an external wastegate..you bolt it on exhaust mani..and with the exhaust you produce vaccum for the crankcase.Sorry dont know the actuall name of it.

Chris

whiteglanzav

Member +
What i did in the past was something like what Lewis said.
I made a catch tank with three pipes. Both from the rocker cover to the catch tank and the third from the catch tank to the intake beffore turbo.
This route actually delivers the most vaccum to the crank case. (wich is beneficial) Other setups in drag cars use even vaccum pumps.
Also it is an other system can be used ..looks like an external wastegate..you bolt it on exhaust mani..and with the exhaust you produce vaccum for the crankcase.Sorry dont know the actuall name of it.

Chris

Sounds like a good idea, ill see if i can set somthing up like that - would that then do away with the need for the breather filter ??

like on my setup if i swapped the breather for a line to the intake would that be better?

also with or without an icv ?

i assume without

we all no that a chocked breather would cause this
but it must be throwing lots of oil or shit in the pipes to chock them
so there must be something causeing this problem :confused:

whiteglanzav

Member +
we all no that a chocked breather would cause this
but it must be throwing lots of oil or shit in the pipes to chock them
so there must be something causeing this problem :confused:

I think it originally blocked from me trying to empty it etc and getting oil on the breather which then went goopy and blocked - with the condensation from the cold/ wet weather

mork

Member +
x2 boost blowing past the rings
the breather dosent chock very often tho infact iv never seen one choke on a starlet yet

Perhaps you canhelp me, you seem to know what you're talking about? I've just done a compression test, hot and WOT, to find cylinder 1 at 30psi, all others at 130psi. Obviously they're all lower than normal, but 30psi is shite, can only be rings/piston, right? Funny thing is, car seems to run fine, no misfire, but plug is oily in that cylinder. Looking at stripping it and put new rings in it, but was looking at Total Rings instead. They don't list the 4EFTE engine, so I'm trying to find out if the 5EFHE rings are the same. Have asked on here but no one knows. Any ideas? Ideally need someone to measure the rings from a 4EFTE, I can then find out from Total if the 5EFHE are the same or not. Toyota have 2 different part numbers but can't tell me what the difference is.

HELP!!:(