Forged engine owners - Oil consumption

Gee

Member +
Good afternoon guys and girls,

When my engine was forged, I was told it would burn more oil than a standard block.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, how much oil per miles ratio is acceptable?

People with forged engine who drive on a daily basis and also boost now and again, can you please comment on your oil consumption?

Thanks.

Elaine

Lifer
Gee I would not be too worried if you’re using slightly more oil.

It’s hard for me to judge as my standard engine was shagged and used a lot!!!

My tuner has told me to expect her to use oil and provided its nothing to over the top I don’t need to worry.

Its part and parcel of running a forged engine. When the engine is cold it will push more oil through the rings (I think I have that right) and then when there nice and warm we will tent to put our foot down a bit harder so that will also increase the amount of oil use.

I would suggest you talk to your builder and see what they think but I would not be worried if your using oil just keep an eye on it

Hope thank helps E :)

GTti

Member +
Good afternoon guys and girls,

When my engine was forged, I was told it would burn more oil than a standard block.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, how much oil per miles ratio is acceptable?

People with forged engine who drive on a daily basis and also boost now and again, can you please comment on your oil consumption?

Thanks.

It would seem correct to state the engine could consume more oil due to the expansion of forged pistons when the engine warms (Well specifically the increased clearance when cold). Depends what the size of those pistons are and how much they expand, and also at what rate they expand.

This probably means a combination of:

- increased piston slap
- blowby
- oil passing the rings (Could depend on the oil also)
- probably more ring/bore wear in the long term also

... and mixture of blowby and oil passing the rings wouldn't help with oil contamination from excess fuel seeping down the cylinder walls. I this would depend on AFR's.

The good news is that none of this is anything to worry about really, just warm and cool the engine sufficiently and it'll last just as long.

I have never really noticed oil consumption on my GTti (Not sure about the GTxx), but both have small amounts of piston slap due to their design.

Gee

Member +
Thanks for the input Elaine and thank you GTti for the very imformative post.

I'm not worried about the fact of it using more oil, I am wondering on other peopls experiences and how much oil everyone elses forged engines are using so I can compare.

Now that I seem to have fixed my oil leaks, I wondering what is normal as I have always had to top up with the stupid leaks anyway you see.

Thanks.

GTti

Member +
I see, just keep an eye on it. Keep an eye out for leaks, they like to leak around the dizzi area also which can go un noticed. Not good when your using expensive Redline products!

If problems persist, might be worth changing / trying a different viscosity. You're using 0/5w 30 right?

Elaine

Lifer
Gtti sorry if this is a silly question but would it be different for our engine as we have had them build some a lesser engine where as yours come from the factory like it???

If I have this info completely wrong I am sorry Lewis will shout at me later for asking a silly question :(

Thanks E :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
shouldnt really be any different elaine, as you should of had your cylinders re-bored and i amagine with bigger pistons, which should fill the gap!

so you wouldnt really have a "worn old" engine as it should be like fresh

GTti

Member +
Gtti sorry if this is a silly question but would it be different for our engine as we have had them build some a lesser engine where as yours come from the factory like it???

Forging is just the process the object is made.

But your question is very valid actually! When you buy forged pistons they're simply just the right size when hot which is down to a mixture of things, mainly the material and the expansion properties of that material.

It might be that the pistons in the GTti expand a much smaller amount from cold than say a set of 4EFTE forged pistons which might expand more.

Or it could also be that the pistons in the GTti expand much quicker to their maximum than that those available for the 4EFTE.

You don't really know unless you have full specs of all of them.

Gee

Member +
I see, just keep an eye on it. Keep an eye out for leaks, they like to leak around the dizzi area also which can go un noticed. Not good when your using expensive Redline products!

If problems persist, might be worth changing / trying a different viscosity. You're using 0/5w 30 right?

Hmm..I'll keep an eye on the dizzy area. Where would it leak from exactly?

Definately not good when using expensive oil :D I am probably switching to Silkolene thou. Oil Man rates it and it is better value for money than Redline.

Currently I am using 5w/30 mate, but will be switching to 5w/40 as per recommendation from Oil Man.

GTti

Member +
I don't think it's the outter O-ring, I think there are some other O-rings in the dizzi that can perish. Mine is slightly leaky there, so is my friends. Could be either though.

FeNder

Member +
well im using shell 10w-40 , and 3.5 litres only last around 700 miles lol ,
but then again , i have a worn out ct9 , leaking dizzy gasket , cam cover gasket and crank pulley gasket !

glanzanut

Lifer
im no expert in engine enternals so just stay with me on this one guys. does this mean when your forging your engine if you had it rebored and fitted oversized pistons or rings that you wouldnt have such an expansion gap and so wouldnt use oil? or am i just talking shite?:freddy:

steveep82

Member +
Yeah, i never topped mine up, didnt find it used any oil, even when it blew up it still had plenty in there! But some engines use more than others, depends on the ring seal and also the quality and size of the bore

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Yeah, i never topped mine up, didnt find it used any oil, even when it blew up it still had plenty in there! But some engines use more than others, depends on the ring seal and also the quality and size of the bore
Choice of piston's plays a huge part in a forged engine with oil consumption.