Front end clunk - Any advice appreciated

Dave.

Member +
I've been reading about clunks from the front of the car recently, and I've always put the noise mine makes down to the Diff (though I'm not sure of the brand).

Its hard to explain, but I'll do what I can.

At slow speed (even up to 20mph) If I turn with the clutch engaged and accelerated at all I get a clunk noise thats easily audible over the engine, and I can even feel through the steering wheel as I turn it. When stationary, it makes little to no noise at all (no clunks anyway, so I think I can rule out CV joints. Plus, the last time I looked the boots and so on seemed perfect).

When turning at very low speed (like 1-5mph) I can feel the inside wheel juddering a lot too. It's worth noting that at speed, it feels fine.

All of these things suggested to me that it would be an aftermarket diff causing this, especially given It all started after I changed to a Fuchs Silkolene Syn5 race spec oil.

The thing however that bothers me, is that the clunk is considerably more noticable and frequent (more clunks for the same movement of the steering wheel) when I turn to the right, rather than to the left...

Other things that have crossed my mind as possible causes were driveshaft(s) and it's been suggested to me that it could be ball joints too...

I know its hard over the internet, but can anyone shed any light on this for me, so I can have a good look over it?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:

madman

Member +
my cusco diff is exactly the same alot of noise out of it when turning right and not half as bad on left turns... so i would say its just the diff

Dave.

Member +
Yea? Thats good news.

It was really the lack of 'symmetry' in the noise that was bothering, but if your Cusco does the same, then (strangely) ideal!

Is everyone in agreement?

Dave

durmz

Member +
i cant help so much, but all i can say is that im having the EXACT same problem, to the letter. and ive asked many a times what this could be, it made it less audible when i topped up my gearbox oil as it was a little low, but it didnt stop it. mine also has an aftermarket differential fitted to the non-lsd box, no idea what kind either, was fitted before i got it. for now, ive put it down to the diff.

Dave.

Member +
Strangely, before I changed the oil I didn't have this at all, but I did have a very slight and only when cold, crunch when going into third sometimes.

The tiny and occasional noise is completely gone after the change to the Silkolene oil, and changes are V smooth, but this clunk is very noticeable lol...

Must just be a diff thing, mad!

Dave

madman

Member +
what causes it is the drive shaft on the right hand side has alot more movement on the gearbox side than the the left i found out the other day when she was on the lift thus causing it to clunk more on right turns

Dave.

Member +
Nice info, it's always good to have an idea of what's happening in your head, makes you feel slightly less bothered when you understand the cause.

Dave

madman

Member +
Nice info, it's always good to have an idea of what's happening in your head, makes you feel slightly less bothered when you understand the cause.

Dave

aye its always good to know whats causing it... it was a fluke that we noticed it on the lift as i just rested my hand on the drive shaft and we put it down to why its alot noisier on right turns

durmz

Member +
Strangely, before I changed the oil I didn't have this at all, but I did have a very slight and only when cold, crunch when going into third sometimes.

The tiny and occasional noise is completely gone after the change to the Silkolene oil, and changes are V smooth, but this clunk is very noticeable lol...

Must just be a diff thing, mad!

Dave

lol! i get the crunch in 3rd too, might try the oil ure using, see if thats gets rid of the cruuunnchhh

Dave.

Member +
Just one more thing, does it only happen for you's with the clutch fully depressed? If I bleed the clutch in, and never let it fully bite (riding the clutch, like) it doesn't clunk at all :p

Same for you?

Dave

Edit* Durmz - Fuchs Silkolene Syn5 Race Spec stuff is what I'm using :)