fuelpump with jam ecu,and also fuel filter

thechomper

Member +
just a quick one lads ,just for confirmation,going to be fitting sps mani and speedvisions hybrid and new exhaust of dave in the next few weeks,hoping to see 200bhp or over ,at a bar,have all supporting mods including jam ecu ,should i upgrade the fuel pump ,before i up the power,going to reset jam ecu ,when i fit all mods and run the car at .85 ,and take it handy for a couple of weeks till the jam ecu self learns to the new mods ,then up the power and get it dynoed ,and get fueling checked,should i change the fuel filter aswell ,only changed around 6 months ago

ChrisGT

Member +
You don't need to uprate as the std fuel pump is fine, but that fuel pump could've been on your car since 1994 (or whenever your car was made) so if you can, you might as well replace it with a new one! Not going to do any harm. A bit of piece of mind too!

And as for fuel filter, if you only changed it 6 months ago I wouldn't bother personally! I need to change mine tbh :(

Rory

Lifer
I would change the pump.
You have to remember that its probaly been in there scince the car was built.
Better safe than sorry.

Filter will be fine.

thechomper

Member +
I would change the pump.
You have to remember that its probaly been in there scince the car was built.
Better safe than sorry.

Filter will be fine.

Rory,would you go with a standard pump or walbro ,as i'm sure the walbro will be cheaper ,then Toyota

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would get a walbro to be sure its up to the job. fuel filter should be fine. you could change it for peice of mind if you wanted

dac69er

Super Moderator
Wideband testing says otherwise buddy.

new stock fuel pump and an uprated fuel pump on the same setup should give the same fuelling as its controlled by the fpr.

if you compared it to an old fuel pump i can see that having an effect as it probably struggles to keep the flow at higher boost/rpm

Rory

Lifer
Rory,would you go with a standard pump or walbro ,as i'm sure the walbro will be cheaper ,then Toyota

I personally would go with the Walbro, i did with mine.

But from what Jay has stated, it seems the oposite.
But i cant think how, as its the FPR that controls it, BUT you cant beat first hand experiance.

thechomper

Member +
cheers for the advise lads,might leave it standard .till i get it dynoed and see how it fairs out on the wideband

aidan

Member +
walbros are cheaper anyway to why pay more for a less powerfull pump least if ya get the walbro it wont need changing if ya go for more power