gear box ratios for drag racing

billybob

Untrusted Seller
well just thinking about putting a gear box together for drag racing useing different gears from differant boxes ,,
what would be the best you fellas think in trems of a good ratio for a drag race one

heres some gear box ratios from the C family input would be get here ?:)
gear ratios we have in a gt already
captureaj.png
[/URL][/IMG]
gear ratios from a glanza v already

captureio.png
[/URL][/IMG]

capturemqg.png
[/URL][/IMG]

capturevm.png
[/URL][/IMG]

capturemci.png
[/URL][/IMG]

captureud.png
[/URL][/IMG]

theres a few longer gears mybe to change from some of them ...mybe theres other boxes that are interchangable not to sure so any input fellas

input lads

1st gear=
2nd gear =
3rd gear=
4th gear=
5th gear =

Last edited:

azerty

Supermoderator
what's the difference between the Final and differential gear ratio ?
I though final drive was the differential gear ratio ?

ian

Member +
Would be good on a track, i had to remove my box with that final drive in as it was a nightmare on the roads.

Not sure how it would work out on the strip as you'd be constantly changing gear.

azerty

Supermoderator
probably not recomended for drag, but I'm doing rally and gymkhana. so this would just be ideal :p
will be chasing backyard to source one... not easy to source in mauritius though. I think they come from 4age blacktop gearbox only

Last edited:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
4.3 final drive is a simple swap and very easy to source, even brand new from toyota is cheap.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
??

the 5speed levin and trueno, silvertop and blacktop, have GT and Glanza gear sets accordingly, and one comes with a 4:1 final gear and the other 4.3:1 .

is this true lol

Last edited:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Yup lol, Toyota like to make things very simple for themselves when it comes to manufacturing parts.

Fatman

Member +
Gearsets are not interchangable from the C150 series boxes as they're physically smaller (and hence, blow up)

4.3 final drive does result in quite a few more revs, 3450 rpms or so at 60mph and you could find that you're having to change into 5th gear at the strip if you've got quite a lot of power with a not much higher than stock rev limit. You always want to avoid changing into 5th, you can calculate the speed and RPM's that will occur at with the link posted earlier, use that to make your decision about which final drive to go with :)

In terms of the ideal gear ratios for 1st-5th, the best toyota option is the C56 with its slightly shorter 3rd and 4th. This really does make a big difference, third gear especially. In an ideal world you would have a completely custom 1st gear that's much longer to bridge the gap between 1st and 2nd. Rest of the ratios are just fine.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Gearsets are not interchangable from the C150 series boxes as they're physically smaller (and hence, blow up)

4.3 final drive does result in quite a few more revs, 3450 rpms or so at 60mph and you could find that you're having to change into 5th gear at the strip if you've got quite a lot of power with a not much higher than stock rev limit. You always want to avoid changing into 5th, you can calculate the speed and RPM's that will occur at with the link posted earlier, use that to make your decision about which final drive to go with :)

In terms of the ideal gear ratios for 1st-5th, the best toyota option is the C56 with its slightly shorter 3rd and 4th. This really does make a big difference, third gear especially. In an ideal world you would have a completely custom 1st gear that's much longer to bridge the gap between 1st and 2nd. Rest of the ratios are just fine.

sounds good cheers

azerty

Supermoderator
In an ideal world you would have a completely custom 1st gear that's much longer to bridge the gap between 1st and 2nd. Rest of the ratios are just fine.

indeed !
I've been trying to find a longer 1st without luck :(
at least toyota doesn't seem to produce a longer one than we already have in glanza/GT box...