Gearbox leak

I have a wierd leak from the speedo cable where it screws onto the box? Is there any o rings or gaskets that have failed?

Cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
the speedo drive does have an Oring. probably worth removing and replacing the Oring to start with

dac69er

Super Moderator
follow the speedo cable down to the box and there you have it. unscrew the cable, undo the retainer and it "should" pull out. chances are it will take a bit to get moving, but as you have oil seeping past then it may come out easy.

I have the cable removed an out if the way but what do you mean by retainer? There isn't anything obvious else to remove, do you mean the slotted shaft if you like where the actual cable rotates on? Any chance you could take a pic of that box you are rebuilding to show me what am looking for?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I have the cable removed an out if the way but what do you mean by retainer? There isn't anything obvious else to remove, do you mean the slotted shaft if you like where the actual cable rotates on? Any chance you could take a pic of that box you are rebuilding to show me what am looking for?

the box i am doing some work on is still on the car.

here is a pic of a toyota box (not a starlet but very similar:

100_3024-Large.jpg

you need to undo the bolt, remove the retaining plate and then remove the drive unit.

Jay

Admin
Just a heads-up, be careful not to damage the speedo drive by prising it too much, they tend to stick in position even with the bolt and retaining tab undone. Last few I've removed have been with the box on the floor - wind a speedo cable back on to get some leverage and then rock the box about to release it. Not sure how that'll transfer to doing one in situ but let us know how you get on.

Will do jay, I was thinking of removing the box to do it, but for now it can leak as can't get it out where it is, or its at racetech soon so they can do it :)